• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

on this day 25 years ago 17/2/1990

the dog2

The might Greacians beat Maidstone at home 2.0

More importantly I missed this match as my daughter couldn't get her bum moving and get born so I could get to the match!

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
You missed a good'un. Quite a tight game, as I recall, against a strong Maidstone side. Was it Mark Gall, their quick striker, who was always a bit of a thorn in our side? Really pleased - and relieved - to have got that win.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Grecians : Miller,Hiley,Benjamin,McNichol,Taylor,Whitehead(Batty),Rowbotham,Bailey,McDermott,Neville,Frankland.

Maidstone:Beeney,Barton,Cooper,Berry,Oxbrow,Golley,Gall,Elsey,Pritchard,Butler,Pearse...

The Grecians were 3rd and Maidstone 7th after the game,which was played in front of 4,181

Maidstone went on to finish 5th that season.They missed out in the play offs to Cambridge United.

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

Just had a quick look at the fixtures list from that season..We were not much good away from home from what I remember(until the last month) I doubt there has ever been a more exciting season at SJP..3 points and entertainment guaranteed...

Lager Lout

Well-known Exeweb poster
Grecians : Miller,Hiley,Benjamin,McNichol,Taylor,Whitehead(Batty),Rowbotham,Bailey,McDermott,Neville,Frankland.

Maidstone:Beeney,Barton,Cooper,Berry,Oxbrow,Golley,Gall,Elsey,Pritchard,Butler,Pearse...

The Grecians were 3rd and Maidstone 7th after the game,which was played in front of 4,181

Maidstone went on to finish 5th that season.They missed out in the play offs to Cambridge United.
I remember our second goal of that game. Attacking the BB end, one of our players hit a shot from outside the area, destined for the railway tracks. The unfortunate Maidstone player Berry was in the way and took the shot smack in the face, sending it into the top corner giving the keeper no chance.

The Stones played in purple if I recall ( I was only 10 at the time).

LL

Antony Moxey

Just had a quick look at the fixtures list from that season..We were not much good away from home from what I remember(until the last month) I doubt there has ever been a more exciting season at SJP..3 points and entertainment guaranteed...
Didn't we set a record for the number of away defeats suffered by a title winning side or something?

Now the home form - will there ever be a season like that again, and not just from us but from anyone? Hard to believe if you didn't actually see it for yourself, and if you include the cup games too against teams from all four divisions. Oh for even a fraction of that now.

grecIAN Harris

I remember our second goal of that game. Attacking the BB end, one of our players hit a shot from outside the area, destined for the railway tracks. The unfortunate Maidstone player Berry was in the way and took the shot smack in the face, sending it into the top corner giving the keeper no chance.

The Stones played in purple if I recall ( I was only 10 at the time).

LL
Their main kit was amber but they couldn't wear it at ours so wore their away kit of claret and with blue trim. Talking of memories, is that the game where Dazza missed a penalty which, ultimately, would have given him a hattrick or was that in the Cup game against Maidstone.
All this said, there is a better on this day tomorrow ;) (Not that you are old enough to have been there LL, strange that as I had you down as being older than me).

Last edited:

Lager Lout

Well-known Exeweb poster
Their main kit was amber but they couldn't wear it at ours so wore their away kit of claret and with blue trim. Talking of memories, is that the game where Dazza missed a penalty which, ultimately, would have given him a hattrick or was that in the Cup game against Maidstone.
All this said, there is a better on this day tomorrow ;) (Not that you are old enough to have been there LL, strange that as I had you down as being older than me).
Must have been the cup game as Berry was credited with an OG. Also, didn't we play Dartford at Maidstone's ground in the cup that year too?

LL

grecIAN Harris

Must have been the cup game as Berry was credited with an OG. Also, didn't we play Dartford at Maidstone's ground in the cup that year too?

LL
Yep, we played a team from Watling Street for about five games out of six (or something stupid like that) as we played Dartford away and then replay in the FA Cup and Maidstone away in the League, I think it was away in the Freight Rover (LDV, Johnstone Paint Pot, call it what you will) and then away and home in the FA Cup in a matter of weeks.

hatch4england

2 thoughts about this:
1. I still have a Paul Batty shirt
2. I wouldn't give our present side much chance against that one.