• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Omelettes

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Rubbish.

Whisk your eggs up with a fork. Heat sunflower oil in a frying pan until it's smoking hot - literally! - then pour in your mixture, shuffle it about a bit to get as much as possible in contact with the pan, then turn the heat right down and cover. If you want cheese, chuck it on top before covering.

That, my friends, is how to make a perfect omelette.

Actually fred's right about never adding milk - that's for scrambled eggs.
I will make one exactly to this specification for lunch tomorrow and post a pic.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
However you care to do it, the important thing is to allow it to set before interfering with it. Otherwise you'll just end up with the equivalent of large pieces of scrambled egg (as you may have discovered).

I like to beat mine lightly, add a little ground pepper and pour into a hot pan. (The smaller the frying pan the better otherwise it'll resemble a giant crepe). A good hard cheddar or a nice blue cheese are my favourite choice of fillings ...

Last edited:

StroudGrecian

A good hard cheddar or a nice blue cheese are my favourite choice of fillings ...
Cheese? *shudders*

One of my favorites is tomato - cut into small pieces and add to the mixture before pouring - no need to pre-cook.

Mushroom omelette is also ace but requires pre-cookage before adding to your mixture.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
I like to keep the filling separate from the mixture. Let the bottom set well, turn it over, add any filling of choice - precooked if required - and fold it over. Perfect.

LOG

This was meant to be the remedial omelette class, not the advanced course.

StroudGrecian

This was meant to be the remedial omelette class, not the advanced course.
Rae's over-egging things here, no need to turn your omelette, simply fold when done, and serve.

fred binneys head

Rubbish.

Whisk your eggs up with a fork. Heat sunflower oil in a frying pan until it's smoking hot - literally! - then pour in your mixture, shuffle it about a bit to get as much as possible in contact with the pan, then turn the heat right down and cover. If you want cheese, chuck it on top before covering.

That, my friends, is how to make a perfect omelette.
Your omelettes taste shiite - smoking hot sunflower oil? You're an amateur.

Butter, low heat, care, precision, love, not wham bam thank you ma'am with your smoking hot oil for goodness sake.

LOG

I was going to start a thread on how to do the perfect roast teddy, but i don't think i will now after the trouble this has caused.

StroudGrecian

Your omelettes taste shiite - smoking hot sunflower oil? You're an amateur.

Butter, low heat, care, precision, love, not wham bam thank you ma'am with your smoking hot oil for goodness sake.
I cook no-nonsense omelettes that come sizzling to the plate; you are cooking some kind of weirdo pansy dried-up old eggy cake.

Grecian2K

Rae's over-egging things here, no need to turn your omelette, simply fold when done, and serve.
Nice to see her coming out of her shell again though.
(Sorry Rae - only yolking)