• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Does rather put the knockers on that delightful old Yorkshire saying of "Where there's muck, there's brass"
That’s coz there is no longer any muck around.....all the mines and heavy industries long gone.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Does rather put the knockers on that delightful old Yorkshire saying of "Where there's muck, there's brass"
It is a bit odd, though. I guess only Sheff Weds and Leeds in the past were regular top league teams from Yarks since the 70's as far as I can remember, with Hull, Bradford City, Huddersfield and Barnsley (?) making occasional forays. Maybe it is a money/population thing.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Someone told the population of Yorkshire that in Landon the streets are paved with Gold and they believed them, either that or they play cricket for their national team - Yorkshire

IndoMike

Someone told the population of Yorkshire that in Landon the streets are paved with Gold and they believed them, either that or they play cricket for their national team - Yorkshire
Could be. And they are cricket-mad.
But look at Bradford - think it's the 4th largest city in England maybe, and they they've been in the top decision maybe 2 seasons in the last 50 years.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
As with all stats it depends on what information you are considering https://www.citymetric.com/skylines/where-are-largest-cities-britain-1404 and whether you are discounting metropolitan areas

ianaplincorners

I'd like to see the council put a covenant on the SJP land to ensure that its only use is for public and professional sports. And also give us a very long lease.
I think there already is one

WXF

This is a historic issue. The North West is traditionally the most enthusiastic region for football in England. E.g. 6 of 12 founders members of the Football League were in the North West. None were from Yorkshire.

grecIAN Harris

Could be. And they are cricket-mad.
But look at Bradford - think it's the 4th largest city in England maybe, and they they've been in the top decision maybe 2 seasons in the last 50 years.
How the hell do you get fourth largest city in England from? London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool. That's before you start googling city populations.

Andy Holloway

How the hell do you get fourth largest city in England from? London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool. That's before you start googling city populations.
You get Dianne Abbott to do the maths?

Red Bill

I actually thought Sheffield was the 4th largest.