• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

sidney

I can't help thinking that a number of struggling Premiership clubs will be tempted to bid for Watkins in the January window, and on current form he would surely command around £20 million. Watford, Newcastle, Palace, Brighton, Sheffield United, Southampton, Villa all spring to mind. He would improve all those teams. Plus, of course, others who might sell and need to replace, such as Bournemouth.
So I think it will probably happen, and ECFC will be very substantial beneficiaries. The fact that he has signed a new contract only makes things better. Brentford in mid-table will also make it more likely.
But what to do with the money?

tonykellowfan

If we do get a windfall from Watkins, we should use the money in the same way that we have with all transfer money received which is to split it 3 ways for development, wages and transfer fees.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
If we do get a windfall from Watkins, we should use the money in the same way that we have with all transfer money received which is to split it 3 ways for development, wages and transfer fees.
Personally I'd spend more on infrastructure - the upgrade of the buildings at the training ground and buying the freehold of the building at SJP - say up to half. But I think we can trust the Club and Trust Boards to use the money wisely, they have with previous transfer income. And the manager & team need to be able to resist excessive demands from agents and players who will assume we are awash with dosh.

Last edited:

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Which ones? Matt Grimes a flat fee apparently, JMT - no, Hiram -n0, Pym - no, Nichols- no has moved on from original deal, Coppinger - don't think so, doubt there will be anything from Stockley as despite his current injury he isn't setting Preston alight, which leaves Storey where it has gone quiet and as a defender will never be as highly valued as a goal scoring striker, and Ampadu which we are being fed piecemeal as Chelsea 'nurture' the talent and will be several years before he is sold.

Of course we have our current crop of which Jack Sparkes is the standout, but again he will be sold with sell on clauses and we will be living in hope, Randell we have to share 50% with Watford should we sell him, Ben Chrisene will be an Ampadu moment, Archie we have yet to see in his best position and therefore neither have any scouts but like Sparkes will be sold with sell ons and hope and then Seymour who is probably like Watkins at this stage of his career a couple of years away from being valuable.

So yes there are some sell ons out there but not to the anticpated value of Watkins
There will be a fee from Boateng coming in, but as that appears will be settled by tribunal, is likely to be desultory when compared to the levels that we have recently become accustomed to receiving. You have also completely forgotten about Crisene.

Alistair20000

Personally I'd spend more on infrastructure - the upgrade of the buildings at the training ground and buying the freehold of the building at SJP - say up to half. But I think we can trust the Club and Trust Boards to use the money wisely, they have with previous transfer income. And the manager & team need to be able to resist excessive demands from agents and players who will assume we are awash with dosh.
The freehold of SJP is a good shout.

DB9

The freehold of SJP is a good shout.
That would be awesome if that could happen, owning SJP outright is a great thing to go for

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
That would be awesome if that could happen, owning SJP outright is a great thing to go for
I disagree.

DB9

I disagree.
Really Martin, I'd thought owning it outright would be a great thing? Having the deeds to the stadium

STURTZ

I agree with Martin, if we owned the ground the money men would be round us like flies round a cow's arse. Better of as we are, extend the lease with the council by all means but how would owning the ground be of benefit to us?

DB9

I agree with Martin, if we owned the ground the money men would be round us like flies round a cow's arse. Better of as we are, extend the lease with the council by all means but how would owning the ground be of benefit to us?
I'd like to think by now the Trust would give any "Money men" a short "No Thanks" plus to have an asset like SJP freehold surely would be a good thing