• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obituary Thread

Bridgy 81

The Taunton Odeon had a few great acts when it was on the music circuit..I saw The Stranglers,The Cure there.Big names of the era visited in 1979/80/81
One I missed at Taunton(& Exeter due to very few tickets at the Uni) was Elvis Costello & The Attractions In 1979.
The Taunton Odeon has long gone,so appropriate for the obituary thread 😎
I grew up in Taunton and it was in my later teenage years during that 1979-81 era when, for some reason, the Odeon hosted live music.
As the name implies it was a cinema and an enormous one at that.
One set of stalls and a balcony with a capacity of 1,000+.
In my younger teenage years I went there for Saturday Morning Pictures. Probably Lassie or something similar.
We used to throw chews and try to hit the screen and sherbet fountains end over end to shower the people below.
I remember once someone being hit on the head with a raw egg.
But when I grew up, a little, I took advantage of any live music which came.
I remember seeing, as mentioned previously Gary Glitter, but more interestingly as you said The Stranglers (on I think The Raven Tour), Peter Gabriel, Rory Gallagher and UFO (who I really like).
I saw the Elvis Costello show you missed in 1979, he was supported by Squeeze and Richard Hell and the Voidoids.
I also remember seeing John Cooper Clarke supporting someone, but I can’t remember who.
Cider probably paid a part.
My sister, who’s a few years older than me saw some bands at the County Ballroom, part of the then County Hotel (now Marks and Spencer) e.g. Sparks and Judas Priest, as I said if you lived in Taunton you’d go virtually anything.
She went to see Hawkwind once at a Church Hall, but much to my disgust she can’t remember whether Lemmy was their bassist.
A couple of years ago my sister and I went back to the Odeon, which is now a Bingo Club, on one of the Hertitage Open Days. We were able to go through the stalls and balcony, which are essentially still the same and into the dressing rooms.
Maybe the one David Bowie used, but although we both missed that, we did get to see him later elsewhere.

Bridgy 81

Apologies, I’ve just realized my post above isn’t relevant for the Obituary Thread.
Sorry.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Apologies, I’ve just realized my post above isn’t relevant for the Obituary Thread.
Sorry.
Nice to reminisce about live music shows which has pretty much disappeared from non major urban areas...They have died in a way 😁

I think John Cooper Clark supported Siouxsie & the Banshees..I saw him supporting them at Torquay Town Hall around 1981 probably the same tour.

Oldsmobile-88

IIRC, the rights to their back catalogue are owned by someone else, certainly in Gary Glitter's case. There was some controversy when a GG co-written song, Rock 'n' Roll Part 2, was featured in The Joker a few years ago. The record labels owning the material confirmed that GG wouldn't be receiving any royalties, rumoured to be a six-figure sum, for the song's inclusion.
Gary Glitter sold his music rights back in the early 1990s.Before he had his collar felt.

Bridgy 81

Nice to reminisce about live music shows which has pretty much disappeared from non major urban areas...They have died in a way 😁

I think John Cooper Clark supported Siouxsie & the Banshees..I saw him supporting them at Torquay Town Hall around 1981 probably the same tour.
That’s right I remember seeing her in Taunton now and also The Buzzcocks.

Darren Moxey

Resigned
Gary Glitter sold his music rights back in the early 1990s.Before he had his collar felt.
Yes, that rings a bell - thanks. I just googled it. His rights are owned by Universal and a company called Snapper. Gary Glitter doesn't get a penny.

Banksy

Sir John Chilcot.

You know, the one who had the sheer audacity to enquire into the conduct of St Anthony Lynton of Blair...and, even worse, find him not quite to be the paragon of virtue that Cherie Amour had thought him to be.

Still. I suspect that there will probably be a glass (or three) raised in relieved memoriam at one of Tony, Cherie (or, even, Euan's) many tax-deductible residences at this sad news.
Why did you have to spoil my evening by mentioning that barsteward Blair G2K ?

Tim Long

My sister, who’s a few years older than me saw some bands at the County Ballroom, part of the then County Hotel (now Marks and Spencer) e.g. Sparks.
Think someone's already written a history of the County Hotel, Taunton, but didn't use the title 'From Sparks to Marks & Sparks'. RIP the County Hotel, although the building is still being used, another part occupied by Waterstones.

elginCity

I grew up in Taunton and it was in my later teenage years during that 1979-81 era when, for some reason, the Odeon hosted live music.
As the name implies it was a cinema and an enormous one at that.
Saw The Faces at Taunton Odeon in ‘74, Bridgy.

Remember well Rod the Mod’s “Anyone from Bristol ?” (Loud Cheers).
“Anybody from Plymouth ?” (Barely discernible whimper and a loud Boo) so he then gave up asking.

Bridgy 81

Saw The Faces at Taunton Odeon in ‘74, Bridgy.

Remember well Rod the Mod’s “Anyone from Bristol ?” (Loud Cheers).
“Anybody from Plymouth ?” (Barely discernible whimper and a loud Boo) so he then gave up asking.
Nice one elgin. I bet that was a good show. Just a few years too early for me though.
I also remember my older brother telling me that Queen played Taunton in the early 70s.
That would have been either the Odeon or County Ballroom too.
Again too soon for me, but I did get to see them (with Freddie) at Wembley Arena in 81.
I wont post on this thread again about music (I’ll find a different one) as I’m aware I’m drifting away from it’s theme.

Last edited: