• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Not the best of publicity........

citydrinker

2 minute hobble from the nearest pub. Or in it.
....at least we didn't get the attention that Alfreton. Lincoln and Bristol Rovers got on today's Jeremy Vine show.

rp42

What great value for money we have with all the attacking football we get to watch and all those Home winsl-)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Whilst I agree that the Echo article could have drawn attention to other prices, where we compare more favourably, it isn't flagging up anything that we already didn't suspect.

It also points out true comparisons from an accurate, if arguably flawed. study.

You never get anywhere by shooting the messenger..........
The problem is that unless the methodology has changed, it isn't accurate. To be honest I haven't had the time nor inclination to look so far this time round having looked at it pretty closely in previous years and identified methodology errors.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
....at least we didn't get the attention that Alfreton. Lincoln and Bristol Rovers got on today's Jeremy Vine show.
And Kidderminster apparently, who were criticised for the price of their food, notwithstanding their food isn't your usual rubber burgers and "Pukka Pies".

Bittners a Legend

The E&E article is also misleading in as it only refers to the most expensive tickets. Our cheapest tickets are in the 'bottom half' of the L2 table. It depends on the local circumstances: if there is a layer of local society that is relatively immune to price (I'm not sure if this applies to Exeter or not!), why not make the most of it?
I agree with your first point and think it is an important one - I want ECFC to be accessible to anyone and that means ensuring that cheaper options exist. One of the biggest issues for me regarding Wolfie's ticket fiasco was the potential impact on young fans. It's positive that the club acknowledged this and have made an effort to rectify it in terms of pricing. Although I still think we are a bit expensive the Big Bank at least offers football at a reasonable-ish price and the club shouldn't be knocked for that.

However, I think you're wrong on the second point. You seem to assume that because somebody has money they will therefore accept the higher price but that's unlikely to reflect in reality. I know of people who want to sit in the Cowshed/Flybe/WTS and can afford it but refuse to be ripped off and choose not to sit in the Grandstand. They aren't City fans but want to watch football - unfortunately the prices have meant they've decided to find something else to do with their Saturday afternoons. That is ECFC's loss. We can't hide away from the fact that in League One and League Two only Chesterfield have a more expensive season ticket than us according to those figures.

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster
if people want to pay those sort of prises they will. they gate income reflects the performance on the pitch which is either here or there at the moment and it will depended on our lovely Devon weather !!!!

Edward

But the point is matchday revenue is the square root of bugger all in the grand scheme of things for these clubs.
This is nonsense.

At Arsenal, matchday revenue is 38% of turnover, at Manchester United it is over 30%, over 27% at Chelsea. Admittedly, it is less than 15% at Man City but, even in that case, it is not 'the square root of bugger all'.

Source: Deloitte Football Report 2014

Last edited by a moderator:

rbgrecian

Spotlight has just shown that Exeter provide the cheapest ticket of the southwest sides at £17 along with Torquay. Scum's is £22

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Watching city is about as value for money as going to the cinema these days - it's all a rip off

Either way people still go and always will

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
Spotlight has just shown that Exeter provide the cheapest ticket of the southwest sides at £17 along with Torquay. Scum's is £22
If you want to stand. Not everyone does