• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Nostalgic Music Gigs

les.gtfc

Not really topping up their pensions as I don't think they ever really stopped gigging but I saw The UK Subs in Grimsby last Friday. Charlie Harper must he about 90 now but he still gives his all. Also see Stiff Little Fingers a few times recently since they reformed and in November I'm off to see Carter USM who do a couple of gigs each year now to get a few more spends.

downthetrack

Indeed there does... for sad old gits who think no good music has been made since 1982 and won't get out of their comfort zones.
I'M 46, And think Kasabian are sh*t hot
On thread went to see Big Country at the uni sometime in the 80s.
Good gig & Desmond decker and the aces at the St Georges hall

journeyman

I think in the last 5 years or so I have seen Bad Manners and Toots and the Maytals at the pheonix. The UK Subs are always on tour, they must be getting on a bit now, and I quite often see tour dates for Madness and The Specials... and I vaguely remember The Selecter at the Cavern about 5 or 6 years ago aswell. So bands from that two tone ska era are still about doing their stuff if you're into it.
Three great ska bands you mention there, Madness always do well for themselves, The Selecter are very underrated and The Specials have sold out Bercy here in Paris so they must be doing something right. Just goes to prove that the best music never dies. Doubt we'll be seeing too many of the present sh*theap doing the circuits in 30 years.

Swanaldo

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'M 46, And think Kasabian are sh*t hot
On thread went to see Big Country at the uni sometime in the 80s.
Good gig & Desmond decker and the aces at the St Georges hall
So you go to one gig a decade... I'm mildly impressed.

Red the Paper

Banned
Sex Pistols 3 years ago plus 100s of other old punk bands in the last 5 years like:

Angelic Upstarts, Damned, UK Subs, Stranglers, The Business, C*ckney Rejects, Chelsea, The Boys, The Lurkers, Magazine, Buzzcocks, Greenday, The Pogues, Sham 69, Vibrators, New York Dolls, The Adicts, Anti Nowhere League, SLF and the best by a country mile....C*cksparrer (about 8 times)

downthetrack

So you go to one gig a decade... I'm mildly impressed.
Been to,one or two gigs over the years;)

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not really topping up their pensions as I don't think they ever really stopped gigging but I saw The UK Subs in Grimsby last Friday.
Charlie Harper will be performing until they screw the lid down..!...And as he sings in,I Couldn't Be You'..."If you act pretty smart you wil get a pension at 65"....He must be drawing it now...

MickStagraget

Indeed there does... for sad old gits who think no good music has been made since 1982 and won't get out of their comfort zones.
^^^What he said.

I always think it's a shame, seeing acts that simply don't have the pizazz that they used to. Seeing Stevie Wonder at Glastonbury last year was good, but it was evident that he was far from his best. Likewise I'm looking forward to BB King this year but know that he won't be anywhere near as good as he was :( To actually make an effort to go and see one of these ageing groups (rather than at a festival with loads of other stuff on)....no thanks.

Far better to put the effort to go and see someone who is up and coming.

Tim Long

Adam Ant is playing at The Phoenix on Friday.Even though admission is £25+. The gig is a sell out...Perhaps he should have asked for a bit more..:D...

PS I wonder what Mr Goddard will be wearing...
I was asked by a friend whether I'd be interested in going and said no. Then I read this. Now if he could incorporate that in his act every night I'd definitely go to see him.

les.gtfc

Charlie Harper will be performing until they screw the lid down..!...And as he sings in,I Couldn't Be You'..."If you act pretty smart you wil get a pension at 65"....He must be drawing it now...
According to the Subs OS he's 67 now!!

Another band I'm hoping to catch later this year are Spizz Energi, Athletico Spizz, Spizz Oill, The Spizzles (whatever you want to call them). Where's Captain Kirk was a fave of mine in my teenage years and their Greatest Hits (a bit of a contradiction in terms there seeing as they didn't have 1 Top 40 hit) still gets a regular airing on my CD player in the car.