• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Northampton v Exeter Matchday Thread

Exe-Cited Fan

Who was man of the match?

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Seriously it is something they really need to sort out as anywhere else on the pitch that would have been a foul for dangerous play, yet it seems you generally get away with it if you are performing an overhead kick in the opposing box.
Thats an excellent point; but the trouble is that 'dangerous play' is a straightforward red card offence, which puts a referee in tricky spot; thats why I've yet to see a referee send a player off after scoring a goal in that fashion. Kicks like that were Pele's speciality, and I doubt if he ever had a goal disallowed, let alone got sent off for dangerous play. This is one issue where I do think officials generally ease up on the dangerous play aspect.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Who was man of the match?
Pym. All day long.

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
If we only had some way of getting the ball forward and attacking that last third. Northampton were yet another team that not only couldn't score, but relied on big men rather than talent for their game plan. The legacy of Hoofroyd lives on, took a long throw and a lucky overhead kick to unlock us.

We played defensively, but their 2 wingers really didn't give us much chance to so otherwise. We need to learn to make the most of the few opportunities that come our way. Is Cummins the answer? Not at the moment, but he's not going to score goals all the way out on flank!

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Lucky over head kick ? Great finish from the lad

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
If we only had some way of getting the ball forward and attacking that last third. Northampton were yet another team that not only couldn't score, but relied on big men rather than talent for their game plan. The legacy of Hoofroyd lives on, took a long throw and a lucky overhead kick to unlock us.

We played defensively, but their 2 wingers really didn't give us much chance to so otherwise. We need to learn to make the most of the few opportunities that come our way. Is Cummins the answer? Not at the moment, but he's not going to score goals all the way out on flank!
Seeing it on the tv Hants i would suggest it took a great finish from the lad to undo us in the end. Sometimes you just gotta accept that the opposition have scored a great goal. Time to move on and a good attendance and a win massively required for Saturday. Hopefully get a few of the injured players back as we desperately need them

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Seeing it on the tv Hants i would suggest it took a great finish from the lad to undo us in the end. Sometimes you just gotta accept that the opposition have scored a great goal. Time to move on and a good attendance and a win massively required for Saturday. Hopefully get a few of the injured players back as we desperately need them
It was a good strike and of course had we got the nil nil we possibly would have been saying it was a good battling point, however we didn't appear to come close all game to scoring ourselves and the brief highlights show a number of good shots and crosses from Northampton. The winner was a ball into our box which we weren't strong enough to deal with and this is what led to Richard's opportunity in the first place. In isolation Saturday wasn't terrible if you believe that Northampton are currently a much stronger side than us but I feel that if you try to play for an away point with the possibility of nicking all three on the counter attack instead of trying to attack the opposition then the tactic needs to work around half of the time at least.

This season and quite frequently last season it worked very rarely so this is why Tisdale is getting so much stick and why the crowds are dropping as they are. York is a good comparison as we played them at home at similar times for three seasons. The crowds were about 3800,3400 and 2700.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Very impressed with Christy Pym. If he does lack anything in stature, he certainly makes up for it in his agility and reflexes. He was really very unlucky not get to that header where they scored, even though it was at point blank range. Good lad with excellent prospects.
That's the trade-off Pete. Apart from the truly gifted 'keepers, the shorter man has always been good saving the daisy cutters while the taller bloke should naturally excel in picking out the high crosses and balls dipping under the bar.

I suppose one the reasons shorter 'keepers were so successful in bygone years was because it was hard to get to get height and distance from the old leather balls once they became soaking wet.

tonykellowfan

Northampton started well, but once we had shut down Hackett, it was level for 60 minutes. The Northampton subs definitely gave them the edge and they had far more of the ball and the chances after that. The goal was very well taken, nothing else to say we lost to a good goal.

Pym was outstanding, nobody else was. Goals look hard to come by.

Usemyname

Apologies if mentioned already but Tisdale mentioned after the match that it was "difficult to take when you get so close" on the OS, I didn't go to Saturdays game and whether it was a close game or not I don't know, but I remember another user whom predictably stated this seems to be what Tisdale has said in a lot of matches regardless of how we have competed within the matches so far. My memories pretty fuzzy though so tell me otherwise if false :S