• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Nicky Ajose

benjisheps

Bowman and Ajose didn't work. Bowman and Martin didn't/doesn't work. Bowman and Jay didn't/doesn't work. Bowman and Seymour didn't/doesn't work. Bowman and Fisher didn't/doesn't work.
Anyone else recognise the link?
The Bowman and Ajose partnership was never used within the system that we are playing now. When we started the season with Ajose and Bowman up top we were playing 4-4-2 and were losing the midfield and struggling in games to really create clear cut chances. Generally 60 mins into games MT went to 4-3-3 and Ajose went wide or came off for Lee Martin and we looked better and scored a lot of late goals to win games.

Since Ajose has been injured I think we have settled on the 3-5-2 system which still gives us 3 in the midfield so we don't get overrun but also gives us width with Williams and Sparkes and allows us to play 2 up top. I actually think that within this system Bowman and Ajose will work and I'm hoping Ajose can finish off some of the chances we are creating.

As has been posted before we are actually top of the XG (Goal scoring chances created) table which shows we are playing well and creating chances now, which I don't necessarily think was the case when Ajose was fit and we were playing a 4-4-2.

Here's hoping!!

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bowman and Ajose didn't work. Bowman and Martin didn't/doesn't work. Bowman and Jay didn't/doesn't work. Bowman and Seymour didn't/doesn't work. Bowman and Fisher didn't/doesn't work.
I recognise that Bowman and MJ worked quite well at the end of last season and that Bowman and Ajose/Seymour/Fisher have hardly had any games as a combo yet this season.

Colesman Ballz

Frankly I am getting a bit fed up with individual players getting vilified. Football is a TEAM sport, and a successful manager will get more out of a team, than the sum of it's individual players. Teams win and lose TOGETHER, so criticise or praise them as a WHOLE. Failing that criticise the manager, but Matt has quite obviously been trying out the various options to cover the injury to Ajose.

And just for the record I feel that Bowman contributes one hell of a lot to the team, even if he is not hitting the back of the net as often as we might like.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Frankly I am getting a bit fed up with individual players getting vilified. Football is a TEAM sport, and a successful manager will get more out of a team, than the sum of it's individual players. Teams win and lose TOGETHER, so criticise or praise them as a WHOLE. Failing that criticise the manager, but Matt has quite obviously been trying out the various options to cover the injury to Ajose.

And just for the record I feel that Bowman contributes one hell of a lot to the team, even if he is not hitting the back of the net as often as we might like.
Agreed. I actually think we have done ok given that we have arguably had 3 first team players out for a long time. Plenty of time for us to improve further. I just hope we are able to keep pace with the top 3!

Legohead

Banned
Some good arguments re the Bowman debate. I also think we've done really well despite our lack of striking options and we can only improve. Having said that I feel that Bowman should have at least another few goals on the board and be more consistent in terms of 100% workrate as a bare minimum for a top end L2 striker. I don't believe that's harsh. I haven't given him the credit he maybe deserves now and again and I've been harsh on him at time but being honest it's probably because he annoys me, i'm frustrated with him, I see him as a weak link and I expect a bit more from him.

grecIAN Harris

At Fulham Jay is just another youngster, therefore no undue pressure. Whereas at t ECFC he will always be Adam's son, with far too much pressure on him to be as good as Adam. Leave the lad here he is to develop naturally.
Which is the only reason there is a continual fuss about him on here and this insane clamour in some quarters to get him here on loan.

grecIAN Harris

That your brain doesn't work. The only part you've got right is that Bowman and Martin doesn't work and that's because has no idea about being a striker. As for the other pairings they've barely managed ten games in total as pairings which isn't long enough to judge one pairing. Given time to work together I could see Bowman and Ajose or Seymour working very well.

Red Devon

Ajose found a yard of pace and looked much improved than in his earlier appearances in the Leasing.com game against Cheltenham shortly before his injury.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ajose found a yard of pace and looked much improved than in his earlier appearances in the Leasing.com game against Cheltenham shortly before his injury.
It is way too early to judge Ajose. Hoping he can get fit and cement a place in our side. Clearly a quality player who just needs to settle into a new side. Fingers crossed!!!

ryancooper327

back in training. Also bad news about Woody