• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Next Season......

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
any chance of this being merged with either of the existing threads on page two 'Interesting Summer Coming' or 'Next seasons squad'?

DB9

This is not about the team but more about the fans, How do people feel that when (If) fan's are allowed back in next season what sort of attendences will we get? Only asking becuase a few other posters have mentioned that they're not sure, With some saying it'll be down because those fans that "Float" have had nearly 18 months (By next season) to find other things to do on a Saturday afternoon/Tuesday evening and might have got out of the habit or being interested, Others have said that they're fairly confident of a return to near normal attendences. I think the "Hardcore" of say 3k will return but might be ajusted down a bit if older fans do not feel safe or confident in going. For me this past season and a half has been a "Meh" I really can't get into seeing games without fans watching, Even MOTD/EFL on Quest or watching live games on Sky have not interested me at all this season, It does show that the football is nothing without the fans, The ifollow is not for me either. I can't wait until fans return in proper numbers, Not a % but when its more like normal but for those fans of lower league clubs who dip in and out, Will they return in numbers or have we lost them? If we are serious about going up then 3k hardcore or round about that number would be such a shame plus the gate reciepts would be down too which causes its own problems.

geoffwp

I'm like you Dave, watching football taking place in an empty stadium on the tv just doesnt interest me. I tried it once, but havent bothered since as keeping tabs on exeweb and match text updates on bbc were just as entertaining.
Difficult to say how it will be next season though. So much depends on how things work out, covid wise, over the summer I guess but I'm pretty bloody desperate to get back up the park and onto the big bank once more. I think when I do get there it will be the moment I will feel normality is back, particularly if the Duke is open for a few ales before hand.
Will all the regular city fans also attend? I'm not sure. Several of my mates have expressed concerns about being in a large crowd again even though they have had both vaccine doses and I'm pretty certain they wont be the only ones thinking that way. I'd be interested in how many of the exeweb brethren would go or would possibly have concerns.

IndoMike

I'm like you Dave, watching football taking place in an empty stadium on the tv just doesnt interest me. I tried it once, but havent bothered since as keeping tabs on exeweb and match text updates on bbc were just as entertaining.
Difficult to say how it will be next season though. So much depends on how things work out, covid wise, over the summer I guess but I'm pretty bloody desperate to get back up the park and onto the big bank once more. I think when I do get there it will be the moment I will feel normality is back, particularly if the Duke is open for a few ales before hand.
Will all the regular city fans also attend? I'm not sure. Several of my mates have expressed concerns about being in a large crowd again even though they have had both vaccine doses and I'm pretty certain they wont be the only ones thinking that way. I'd be interested in how many of the exeweb brethren would go or would possibly have concerns.
(In acknowledgment of you new location, I attach some Zen chants for you.)

Difficult to say about attendance... If we make some super duper signings that should add a few hundred to the crowd.
Atmosphere is an important factor for me. If there were just a couple of thousand in the crowd it would turn me off.
The first few home games would be important, too: if there was seen to be some improvement and attacking intent.
Theoretically it's more likely that the crowds will be a bit lower than a bit higher for the reasons you stated above.
Anyway, it's up to the club to think of some creative ways to bring the fans back.

Legohead

Banned
Some good points raised by DB9.

Certainly the lack of fans has made watching football on TV a lot more difficult to absorb, although oddly enough i find that watching us live and other lower league football without crowds and artificially generated crowd noise isn't as bad as i thought it would be. However, last night i watched Man Utd v Roma in the CL semi at Old Trafford on BT and when you have huge games like that in huge stadiums with no crowd noise it massively detracts from the spectacle.

I don't watch much live top level footy and so last night was a bit of an eye opener to watch a full 90 minutes of a CL semi with no fans and no crowd noise inside a massive stadium. It was difficult to watch even though the game ended 6-2!

Maybe some fans have been put off for good by this or have found other things to do now with their time and the lack of fans at games this season has put some people off for good?

Interesting points also about how many fans will still be wary of attending events with large crowds, even with being fully vaccinated. I anticipate that some of the older generation of supporters may opt to stay away due to this which would be really sad, and maybe even some fans who are a younger too.

The season hasn't ended yet of course but the really shocking tail off in form in the last few months could also have an impact on the appetite of some fans to want to get back to SJP quick.

All in all, many variables to consider and which could have an impact on the attendances next season.

I have thought that the club should really be doing a survey of all fans, maybe on their website to gauge current public opinion of their thoughts about returning to SJP next season. It is really disappointing actually that this is something that has not been done.

Topsham Boy

My view, for what it’s worth, will be that crowds will be lower….at least for a while. Until the virus has been reduced to very low levels, and everyone over 18 has been offered and hopefully taken up the jab, some older fans will be reluctant to come back to SJP.
A further booster shot in the autumn would help boost confidence.
I don’t think the quality of football, good or bad, will have as much effect as Covid.

geoffwp

Some good points raised by DB9.

Certainly the lack of fans has made watching football on TV a lot more difficult to absorb, although oddly enough i find that watching us live and other lower league football without crowds and artificially generated crowd noise isn't as bad as i thought it would be. However, last night i watched Man Utd v Roma in the CL semi at Old Trafford on BT and when you have huge games like that in huge stadiums with no crowd noise it massively detracts from the spectacle.

I don't watch much live top level footy and so last night was a bit of an eye opener to watch a full 90 minutes of a CL semi with no fans and no crowd noise inside a massive stadium. It was difficult to watch even though the game ended 6-2!

Maybe some fans have been put off for good by this or have found other things to do now with their time and the lack of fans at games this season has put some people off for good?

Interesting points also about how many fans will still be wary of attending events with large crowds, even with being fully vaccinated. I anticipate that some of the older generation of supporters may opt to stay away due to this which would be really sad, and maybe even some fans who are a younger too.

The season hasn't ended yet of course but the really shocking tail off in form in the last few months could also have an impact on the appetite of some fans to want to get back to SJP quick.

All in all, many variables to consider and which could have an impact on the attendances next season.

I have thought that the club should really be doing a survey of all fans, maybe on their website to gauge current public opinion of their thoughts about returning to SJP next season. It is really disappointing actually that this is something that has not been done.
What a shame that the club has disappointed you yet again Lego.

Legohead

Banned
What a shame that the club has disappointed you yet again Lego.
I know. Some of us have certain expectations that, when not met can be greeted with disillusionment.

I guess the key is to not expect anything of anybody, like yourself Geoff and thus nothing external can ever influence the inner balance.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I guess the key is to not expect anything of anybody, like yourself Geoff and thus nothing external can ever influence the inner balance.
"The only way to true, lasting inner happiness is Transcendental Money".

Oh, and Argyle losing 6-0 at home...

rustle

I think DB9 is right about the 'hard core' 3k or so. Going to those few matches with social distancing was not the same so a return to a decent crowd would definitely make it worthwhile in my view. There are a few factors which will affect what happens though. If travel restrictions are lifted then attendances in August are likely to be lower as I guess quite a few folk may take the opportunity to go abroad. If we get promoted I'm sure attendances will eventually increase (hope I haven't tempted fate there). Once things move towards 'normal', whatever league we are in, my guess is so will the crowds. That has already been shown to be safe according to today's papers. So there may be some initial reluctance from some but I think that will disappear before very long as the joy (? !) of watching City play overcomes any worries.