• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New Parking Available for Saturday Home Games

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
What do you mean Pete? I'm on about posters on here making a big deal over it apparently being a Conservative club. So what?
Pretty obvious Tone. There are many folk who do not want to be associated with the Tories in any way - same as any other party - so it is a little disingenuous to offer car parking without telling potential punters that proceeds are going to a political party. TBH I'd be peeved if I chose to park there on the basis of the OP and then found out it was the Con Club when I got there. Not crime of the century, granted, but could easily have made the 'little things' thread.

Antony Moxey

Pretty obvious Tone. There are many folk who do not want to be associated with the Tories in any way - same as any other party - so it is a little disingenuous to offer car parking without telling potential punters that proceeds are going to a political party. TBH I'd be peeved if I chose to park there on the basis of the OP and then found out it was the Con Club when I got there. Not crime of the century, granted, but could easily have made the 'little things' thread.
Yes but that was exactly what my 'so what' comment was about. It's just a parking spot, really. It's not funding some illegal organisation, nor one that's particularly odious, so don't see the problem. And yes, before anyone steps in, the Tories are not particularly odious - no more so than the Greens, Lib Dems, Labour, SNP or Plaid bloody Cymru.

As I said, regardless of your political leanings, you've already had thousands of pounds of your taxes supporting the other parties and their ideals, so really what is so bad about chucking a few quid to a Conservative club who apparently want to use the money to keep their social club going. It's hardly signing up to making monthly donations to the BNP is it?

Colesman Ballz

What do you mean Pete? I'm on about posters on here making a big deal over it apparently being a Conservative club. So what?
I for one, posted because it seemed that there was a deliberate attempt to hide the true identity of the organisation, NOT because it was a Conservative club, I would still have posted on the basis of ethics .

In fact it may have been better had it been the Green Party, then we might have flushed out any Slime fans hidden amongst our ranks, when they jumped to its defence ! (rofl)

Fresher

The reason I left it out was due to two things. Firstly, I don't view it as a Conservative club and have never call it such in my own mind and always refer to it as a social club. The name may change in the very near future. The management of the club are seeking to drop the Conservative title as the Conservative party members never use the building (subject to legals). The club is utilised by what some refer to as "working class" people such as myself with no political agenda for social drinks, skittles, and snooker etc. Up and down the country the Political party clubs i.e. Con / labour clubs are not what they used to be in the 1900's. For example, do you walk into a working men's club only expecting to see working men and no women?

Secondly, the unnecassary comments about a political party of which we have no finanical ties. The social club is a stand alone not for profit business.

In addition, I can guarantee that any funds raised from the car park do not support the Conservative party nor any other political party. The funds will be utilised for maintenance on the clubs snooker tables/ room and general maintenance on the building.

Wishing you all a happy new year!

Rog H K

I think is a good Idea. Most of what is around SJP is residence parking only. Yes it is better to get a bus, walk or get off at St James Park Rail Station but not everyone is on a route or within walking distance and therefore anything to encourage the ease of attending games at St James Park is a bonus to the Club(ECFC) and Fans who can make use of it.

Last edited:

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
We park out along the road along from the Stoke arms and walk in from there. Not too far if it's not raining.

Spoonz Red E

I feel less apprehensive about Tory funding now I know that Thatcher's Big Bank only gets the odd donation from a miss hit shot at St James Park ...

Oldsmobile-88

Glad to see there is still a social club going in the Mount Pleasant area...Until I read this thread,i thought it had closed along with many other similar establishments in the past decade...
Social clubs..Very much a icon of the past..The Gas Club,Willeys Club & The Buff Club in Bullar Rd (all gone)where with Norman Long and others,the world was put to right over a few cheap ales & 'tabs' in the evening..