• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New Number 10 - Sam Nombe - To Rotherham United

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
I do agree that Nombe is a big loss for the team and what he brings in terms of helping to occupy defenders and establishing possession for the team high up the pitch. It also seems that Brown is a better player when he has Nombe alongside him so this is disappointing news.

However; (and maybe this is me trying to be ultra positive about the situation), at least we did manage to get in both Zanzala and Phillips during January which will now be very important. In reality if Zanzala had not got injured early on we probably wouldn't have brought in Phillips and while he is no Nombe he does offer some pace in behind which should help in the latter stages of games and the run-in.

As some have said, on the small evidence we have seen of Zanzala he is not at the level of Nombe (which is to be expected), but he does at least still offer a physical presence up top and in our preferred 3-5-2 system could still play a big part in helping us get promotion. Hopefully Brown can keep chipping in with goals and we will need MJ to continue to find his scoring form until the end of the season as well.

It's also worth pointing out that Nombe hasn't scored a league goal since the 20th of November when we beat Carlisle at home and we have still managed to stay in and around it. I know some will say that our form recently really picked up when Nombe returned, and there is definitely merit to that, however I would argue the real upturn in our form has been the emergence of Sam Stubbs and he is pivotal from now until the end of the season.

Again, I can't dispute the loss of Nombe is disappointing and makes things tougher for us, but we do for once have some depth in the forward positions and hopefully this will make a big difference when all is said and done.

Fingers crossed!!

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
After his early goalscoring form Nombe's main asset was being an awkward cuss, not a lot od ball skill or heading ability but strong, fast and ready to work for ninety minutes. After yesterday I think Zanzala can do all that, not many goals but he can mix things up a bit.

manc grecian

Just missing the movement, touch and control

STURTZ

He's got it all! Actually can't stand all the whining and "We're doomed"! mentality, our squad is complete let's get behind them! Zanzala's inclusion reminds me a lot of Richard Young coming into the side after we had lost Darren Rowbotham in our championship season. Not in the same class as Dazza but he held the line and finished the job!

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
He's got it all! Actually can't stand all the whining and "We're doomed"! mentality, our squad is complete let's get behind them! Zanzala's inclusion reminds me a lot of Richard Young coming into the side after we had lost Darren Rowbotham in our championship season. Not in the same class as Dazza but he held the line and finished the job!
Ozzie, Ozzie, Ozzie - come on Big Bank learn the tune !
UTC

Memphis09

After his early goalscoring form Nombe's main asset was being an awkward cuss, not a lot od ball skill or heading ability but strong, fast and ready to work for ninety minutes. After yesterday I think Zanzala can do all that, not many goals but he can mix things up a bit.
i hope you correct but don’t see it

Hope I am proved wrong again

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ozzie, Ozzie, Ozzie - come on Big Bank learn the tune !
UTC
Not quite - it's "Ozzie, Ozzie, Ozzie,
Oz, Oz, Oz,
Ozzie, Oz, Ozzie, Oz
Ozzie, Ozzie, Ozzie, Oy, Oy. Oy :)

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not quite - it's "Ozzie, Ozzie, Ozzie,
Oz, Oz, Oz,
Ozzie, Oz, Ozzie, Oz
Ozzie, Ozzie, Ozzie, Oy, Oy. Oy :)
You hum it I'll sing it !