• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New Number 10 - Sam Nombe - To Rotherham United

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I am reliably informed that we received 1.2 million for Nombe which was also being offered by Barnsley. Got to say that was a good bit of business, you've got to think that some of that money could be spent on a proven central striker.
I agree. To get that return after two years was something regardless of not replacing him which is a different matter altogether

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
MT'S parting gift, three quarters of a million.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
It leads me to think that Taylor feels Nombe had gone backwards (in terms of fitness or form) since KMT left City. The player he signed isn't quite up to the standard of the player he left.
If that’s the case he was an impulsive buy by Taylor , should have got someone to do a bit of checking up beforehand. Perhaps the good old days of scouts at matches are over?

Banksy

MT'S parting gift, three quarters of a million.
Which makes it even more stupid that we didn’t invest in at least one decent striker as a replacement.Would probably have been the difference between an end of season dogfight at the bottom and comfortable mid table.At the very least we could have tried for someone with potential who we could hopefully improve and eventually sell on at a profit as Sam was.Anybody in fact rather than Muskwe and past their sell by date free agents who are naturally not very interested.I think that’s what makes me mad , the complete lack of foresight and the fact we didn’t suss things out early knowing Sam was probably on his way when most folk could see what would happen a mile off .Or maybe it’s an admission that we’ve no ambition. Anyway , it’s been talked to death , now the club and Caldwell will have to take the consequences.Got a gut feeling another loss is on the cards this weekend and the free fall continues.Lincoln will be fired up hoping they meet the same team of patzers who’ve gifted their last load of games.

Last edited:

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
If that’s the case he was an impulsive buy by Taylor , should have got someone to do a bit of checking up beforehand. Perhaps the good old days of scouts at matches are over?
Perhaps KMT didn't feel the need to scout a player he managed for 2 seasons just 10 months before he signed him. A little slack, I agree.

Sometimes a player only hits the heights of their full potential once, when all the stars align. ECFC under Taylor was perfect for Nombe. Let's hope he's able to replicate it under different circumstances.

Mid Devon Grecian

It leads me to think that Taylor feels Nombe had gone backwards (in terms of fitness or form) since KMT left City. The player he signed isn't quite up to the standard of the player he left.
I think that triumvirate of Nombe, Brown, Stansfield may have enhanced Nombe’s performances. The other two I would argue can stand alone with their own talents.

Bat Fastard

I think that triumvirate of Nombe, Brown, Stansfield may have enhanced Nombe’s performances. The other two I would argue can stand alone with their own talents.
Interesting take mdg, have never thought of it like that before but could explain his relatively poor form since the start of the year. Did think he brought a lot to the side even when he wasn’t BTI though, which were missing desperately at the minute

Grecian Max

I think this too, Nombe is a very straightforward player that benefits from creativity around him

Mid Devon Grecian

Interesting take mdg, have never thought of it like that before but could explain his relatively poor form since the start of the year. Did think he brought a lot to the side even when he wasn’t BTI though, which were missing desperately at the minute
Agree he still brought something to the team just that without Brown & Stanno we don’t have the same quality finishers to benefit from his harassment of defenders.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree he still brought something to the team just that without Brown & Stanno we don’t have the same quality finishers to benefit from his harassment of defenders.
Yes,

IMO that's because we play too slow and deliberate a style of football at present to accommodate all the passing back and forth across the defence and Carroll's Oakley-esque sideways movement. It was notable when Watts came on at half time we showed more pace. Even more so after Cole replaced Carroll.

What I can't fathom is whether this is a deliberate coaching approach or an attempt to work with an unbalanced squad missing some players, I couldn't bear to watch the Derby game but understand it was more of the same?

We really miss Stansfield's energy.