• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New Fan

JRFowler

Greetings one and all it's almost that time of year again! I've always been a football fan and supported a premiership team for most of my childhood, with the cost of things now and the pre madonnas and fickleness of premiership football I've certainly turned to the football league in need of some faith that football is still a great game!

I've seen Exeter play a few times through the years, I could never claim to be a die hard fan because that's simply not true. However I do find myself drawn in by the clubs achievements under such tight and pressing times and now I find myself wanting to come to games more as the football just seems more "real" you know??

So enough of the drivel, what one thing would u tell a new fan to educate them in the ways of Exeter City?

Thames Valley Red

At away games our anthem to get the team going and also to show 'Bigger Teams' that we are a pretty tight unit of fans that are immensely proud to support our club is; 'Sing a song for Stanno, we will never let you go, you will always be here at City with me!'. The song links us to our recovery from non-league and links us to home for exiles, as his lovely family and his playing style is everything we expect from a player that plays for the club. For 'Stanno' he was a local lad that just wanted to play the beautiful game and he also loved the club. When it came to contracts he just wanted to know for how long...not how much!

The song is best sung when losing away from home when a big following has made the effort to go - 1800 at Fratton Park - watch the youtube clips. In the meantime welcome aboard you are not the first to join the band of supporters for these reasons!

UTC

TVR

DanceMagnet

So enough of the drivel, what one thing would u tell a new fan to educate them in the ways of Exeter City?
Expect the unexpected! We lose to teams like Warrington, but beat teams at the top of the league. It can be both frustrating and uplifting. Enjoy the ride, and get to a few away games - generally, a good day out.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Welcome!! You're in good company. Ade Edmondson, once a season ticket holder at Stamford Bridge, became a devoted follower for much the same reasons as you.

The only attributes you need to follow City are resilience and a sense of humour.

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

Nothing. Despite what the club - and Trust - would like you to think, we ARE an ordinary football club that's spent pretty much its entire existence stumbling about in the bottom two leagues. Go to games and watch the football, it's that simple. You'll either enjoy it or you won't - if you do you'll be back, if you don't, you won't. We're no different to anyone else, some days we're really good, others we're utter sh*te.

Make your mind up yourself, we're nothing special, just another lower league team struggling along like everyone else. There are no 'ways' of Exeter City.

David Treharne

If you travel away to watch Exeter, and you live in Devon, you'll have to get used to travelling fairly long distances. The nearest team in out league in Plymouth, and as a typical away match that doesn't count as the policing/stewarding always spoil it as an enjoyable day out. Then it'll be Pompey (see TVR above)- apart from that it tends to be long periods in the car/train/bus and there's been an increasingly annoying tendency to switch games to times which make it difficult/impossible to attend (see Accrington).
Finally, make sure you get to know Antony Moxey, the antidote to any pretensions that you may have about watching something special.

On the up

Welcome hope you enjoy the club. we are not a typical division 2 side and do try and play a passing game. When it works we"re a pleasure to watch, but sometines we get over powered by lesser skilled but more direct teams.

On a good run for the past couple of months. Away fans are great. Dont take this site too seriously, many of the posters don't even go to the games. Still good fun if taken in context.

Another tough game today, expect decent crowd and lots of singing.

elginCity

what one thing would u tell a new fan to educate them in the ways of Exeter City?
An old Mexican proverb sums it up best for me.. :)

"It is not enough for a man to know how to ride; he must know how to fall."

Rog H K

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on";

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch;
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And—which is more—you'll be a "Grecian' my son!

Pete Martin (CTID)

Are you alright Rog?? :D