• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

music quiz redux

Bridgy 81

Forefathers of punk/first punk bands? Though MC5 would have to be included in my humble.

Where olds when you need him? Pip would've had this one in seconds god bless him.
In the punk/new wave category think less about when and more about where.

Plus there’s still one more song/artist and link to find in the final category.
T’Pau, Duran Duran, Heaven 17, Thompson Twins and ………………? The final band are a very different style to the other four but there is a link there, promise!

Bridgy 81

So good they named it twice ?
Nice hint. I think.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nice hint. I think.
Hint ? It was meant to be a demonstration of the classic Music Quiz art of goal hanging ! :ROFLMAO:

Bridgy 81

I’m new to this, but hopefully learning fast 😉

STURTZ

T’Pau, Duran Duran, Heaven 17, Thompson Twins and ………………? The final band are a very different style to the other four but there is a link there, promise!
Keep on truckin. 😊

Swanaldo

They are all named after Sci Fi works.

Bridgy 81

They are all named after Sci Fi works.
Can you be more specific?

Swanaldo

T'pau was a character in Star Trek, Heaven 17 were mentioned in A Clockwork Orange, Duranduran was that guy from Barbarella and the Thompson Twins were from Tintin. (OK Tintin isn't Sci-fi but he did go to space that one time)

Bridgy 81

T'pau was a character in Star Trek, Heaven 17 were mentioned in A Clockwork Orange, Duranduran was that guy from Barbarella and the Thompson Twins were from Tintin. (OK Tintin isn't Sci-fi but he did go to space that one time)
Nicely played. Part of this category link is bands taking their names from fictional characters.
T’Pau was an Vulcan elder in Star Trek. I think she was also Mr Spock’s Mum.
Heaven Seventeen were the band in A Clockwork Orange, presumably they changed it to 17.
Dr Durand Durand, again slightly different spelling, was the evil Dr in the Jane Fonda film Barbarella (I think they took this name as Barbarella was a popular club in Birmingham when Simon and his mates lived there).
and the Thompson twins were indeed the two detectives, Thompson and Thomson, again note the spelling, in
Hergé’s Adventures of Tintin.
But this is one of the category links with 2 parts to it that I mentioned at the beginning though.
But, as I feel mean just giving you 1 point I’m going to give you both points for this category, the other bit of the category title and a big clue to the final answer in this category.
So, to complete this one it’s a band who took their name, not from a character/s but from a film itself.
The clue is that they may have also frequented Barbarella‘s a few years before the Duran boys if it was open in the early 70s.
Song is FWB, but I obviously also need the band‘s name for anyone to scoop the final 3 points in this category.
Plus, there are still 2 points going begging for the link for the final category i.e. What’s the connection between:
The Ramones, Talking Heads, Television, Blondie and Richard Hell and the Voidoids? and we already know they were American, punk..ish bands in the 70s who probably all played at CBGBs?

angelic upstart

The only issue I have is everytime I look at FWB as a song I can't get past the words friends with benefits!

Obvious Brummie bands from the 70s that I reckon Bridgy would do questions on are black Sabbath and Judas priest. But my knowledge of them is poor and I don't think they did a song called friends with benefits