• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Morecambe v Exeter City Matchday Thread

contrabombarde

Translation please...
I think he meant lose.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I think he meant lose.
Ah, thanks.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Come on City. Trying to erase the memory their fans at the Wembley Travelodge gets harder each time
Blue Square Premiership La La La La
Blue Square Premiership La La La La La La
;)

irishbrian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Blue Square Premiership La La La La
Blue Square Premiership La La La La La La
;)

Good times !

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Unusual that there is no report or summary on here from anyone who attended the game yesterday.

Saint James

Unusual that there is no report or summary on here from anyone who attended the game yesterday.
Al, here's my take on the game. General comments are that Oakley didn't play as well with Doc as he did with Grimes and apart from one peach of a through ball that JOF should have buried gave the ball away far too many times. Similarly, both goals were I think partly as a result of not having Baldwin alongside Coles - Bennett looked like someone filling in and his positioning at times was poor. First half we dominated but failed to take two or three good chances which ultimately cost us as 2nd half we looked a pub team playing against a really poor team.

Arthur had nothing to do bar one great save coming out to deny someone coming through in the 2nd half and couldn't do anything about either goal. Dawson was roughed up by Kevin Ellison but is still learning his trade so did OK. Coles did OK and Woodman was probably the pick of a poor bunch. Davies and Wheeler found it tough as neither Doc or Oakley did enough with the ball. JOF huffed and puffed but was largely ineffective whist Parkin was in and out of the game.

For me if we bring back Pat and Grimes the wheels will turn again.

Tony

Darren Moxey

Resigned
Not much to say about that really.

In the first half, though, I thought that we were the better team. O'Flynn had a good chance to put us into the lead, but couldn't convert. I feel he could be frustrating to watch this season as he quite often spurns decent opportunities (I know he put in a good performance against the Dons last Saturday, but he did miss two sitters before eventually finding the net). Having said that, Morecambe should have been awarded a goal when the ball crossed the line by a good foot, before Coles (?) cleared.

We were poor in the second half and didn't deserve anything from the game. The first goal, a free header, will disappoint the coaching team and their second strike knocked whatever wind was left in our sails. It was a little bit disappointing to see that we didn't stick with last Saturday's winning formula, but I can understand Tis wanting to protect the young lad Grimes from physical teams like Morecambe at this stage of his fledgling career. Bennett looked a lot more competent as a centre-half than as a midfielder, but I'd like to see Baldwin back in there once his child has been born.

Onwards and upwards.

Alistair20000

Thanks fellas (y)

Always good to read the observations of those that were at the game.

Oldsmobile-88

I agree with most of what Tony & Darren have reported....We looked well beaten in the end.Too many passes going astray,especially in the 2nd half.I could have been different if Flynny had taken his chance at the end of the first period.He took a touch,when a first time strike looked a better option.Once Morecambe took the lead,it never looked like the Grecians were going to get anything out of the game.

I could not believe it when the linesman did not signal a goal for the goalline incident in the first half.It looked well over(i was at the end of the stand overlooking the byline & the lino was in a good position)Alas that stroke of good fortune was to be of no avail.

A good turnout of travellers.It must have been around 200.

Last edited:

cannockred

First half we were very superior to morcambe. The balls inside the full backs, even when they double banked on wheeler, were superb and wheeler stuck in some fantastic crosses, none of which seemed to go to a grecian nut! Offline squandered several chances when it seemed easier to score. They were thuggish in the extreme with some of the their tackling and 22 was given 3 final warnings by the totally inneffectual ref. Mind you he got no support from the lino on our side of the pitch. Goal line technology wouldnt have answered that one, more like back of the net technology it was so far over the line.

Second half we were hit with a suckerpunch virtually straight from the kick off and our heads went down. Misplaced passes and a ridiculous amount of time wasting from them saw to it that we were beaten. we stopped playing the fluid stuff that we played in the first half. It was my first game of the season and if we could put 90 mins together and persuade jof to not have 43 touches before shooting, we could have something going. And for pete, nothing artur could have done for either of the goals, was left by himself for both goals and didnt have a chance with either.
Would not want to watch morcambe every week.

Last edited: