• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

More changes to the FA Cup

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
I've no idea who Newhall United are, but well done on the statement

Check the first comment

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
The little clubs are powerless to do anything about this as usual.They could boycott the FA Cup this year,but would anyone care at the FA and PL? Unlikely.

Matt Russell

The little clubs are powerless to do anything about this as usual.They could boycott the FA Cup this year,but would anyone care at the FA and PL? Unlikely.
Probably not, but if it was to grow and include clubs further up the chain?

JCWhoosh

If the premier teams are worried about fixture congestion, I wonder if they should scrap 2 leg ties in the Champions League instead. Or just keep playing league games when they lose their best players to international fixtures and use their fringe players throughout the season. Oh wait, that would be detrimental to their income streams :rolleyes:

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
If the premier teams are worried about fixture congestion, I wonder if they should scrap 2 leg ties in the Champions League instead. Or just keep playing league games when they lose their best players to international fixtures and use their fringe players throughout the season. Oh wait, that would be detrimental to their income streams :rolleyes:
I thought the agreement would come to replays only in the 1st to 3rd rounds, but did at least expect everyone to be consulted on the matter.

If they said, replays only in 1-3, Whilst I would still disagree with it, I could at least understand it.

burtiew

OK ... controversial idea. Let's totally reorganise the European competitions to reduce overload of fixtures for the 'elite' clubs. How about making the Champions League just that, reducing the number competitors by limiting it to the 'champions' of each country's league. Then changing the format of the Europa League to, say, the cup winners in each country ... maybe we could call it the 'European Cup Winners Cup' or something like that. Then the Conference League or whatever the other European competition is called now could be for the next three or four clubs in the top leagues (who aren't already in the first two competitions)?

Then, perhaps they wouldn't have to ruin the FA Cup by taking the romance of giant killing replays away?

cannockred

I see all sides here as someone who follows Spurs and Exeter. The PL and CL is such a money spin worldwide that they are adding games to the schedule so more and more games can be televised to earn more money for the greedy bastards. Right here is the problem why I started following Exeter to begin with it's out of control and joke it's the people at the top. HOWEVER £200k or £2 a week playing 60+ games a week is unfair on the players and something needs to give at top level to protect the players.

Clubs like ours rely on that money generated simply to keep afloat. A cup run to us could change our foreseeable future it's potentially massive.

TO ME every PL club MUST and COULD do and pay more into the lower leagues to help keep these clubs running! Money Spurs waste a month on Ndombele would've saved Bury and Macclesfield. This is an opportunity for FL clubs to get the PL to help us out more. If they currently pay £5m each into the leagues well now pay £10m each into leagues make us bot need a replay to save our clubs.

I darned hate what the PL has become today.
I suppose as a spurs fan you dont get the fixture congestion that other teams get from european fixtures .....🙂

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
OK ... controversial idea. Let's totally reorganise the European competitions to reduce overload of fixtures for the 'elite' clubs. How about making the Champions League just that, reducing the number competitors by limiting it to the 'champions' of each country's league. Then changing the format of the Europa League to, say, the cup winners in each country ... maybe we could call it the 'European Cup Winners Cup' or something like that. Then the Conference League or whatever the other European competition is called now could be for the next three or four clubs in the top leagues (who aren't already in the first two competitions)?

Then, perhaps they wouldn't have to ruin the FA Cup by taking the romance of giant killing replays away?
I do think we have to accept the world where it is. But for the FA and top six to make such a big decision without even talking to the other stakeholders is beyond the pale and the FA not looking after the game as a whole, let alone their flagship competition is so poor from them, this is off the back off selling the TV Rights and massively reducing the FTA exposure it has enjoyed in the last few years. Just so poor from the FA. The big six it is expected of.

As for the European stuff, I don't think there is any need to change the Champions league at all, the current structure works well for the clubs and TV imho, we don't need a club world championship from FIFA either.

Now is the time for a more progressive look at the football calendar and agreed frameworks across the whole system, respecting the traditions of each domestic league and also looking at hoe we can better structure competitions for the benefit of all.

Grecian Max

It's a national disgrace how the FA Cup has been picked apart since Man Utd decided not to play in that season - I hold them the most responsible for devaluing the competition

As an aside, I really would love to see a lower league European trophy format - give the opportunity to travel to Spain, France, Holland etc

denzel

I do think we have to accept the world where it is. But for the FA and top six to make such a big decision without even talking to the other stakeholders is beyond the pale and the FA not looking after the game as a whole, let alone their flagship competition is so poor from them, this is off the back off selling the TV Rights and massively reducing the FTA exposure it has enjoyed in the last few years. Just so poor from the FA. The big six it is expected of.

As for the European stuff, I don't think there is any need to change the Champions league at all, the current structure works well for the clubs and TV imho, we don't need a club world championship from FIFA either.

Now is the time for a more progressive look at the football calendar and agreed frameworks across the whole system, respecting the traditions of each domestic league and also looking at hoe we can better structure competitions for the benefit of all.
Problem is the champions league is changing, next year there will be even more games. And the World Club championship which will involve Man City and Chelsea. In the eyes of the big clubs, these are more important than the FA Cup.
Unless they are stood up to they will get away with it. The EFL are toothless because they have just signed up to a new deal where they receive some of the crumbs from the PL table so they just bow and say thank you very much.