• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Michael Owen

benh

Good player?
Been broken one too many times to be any use?
Can he still make it in the Premier League?

The top clubs won't want him, so should be a star at a club like Bolton, Stoke or Wigan or fight it out at somewhere like Everton, Man City or Tottenham?

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think he should go to Everton because i think Moyes will get the very best out of Owen for next few years. Remember his record with NEwcastle when fit was still very impressive

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Ideally suited to championship level football. :)

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Will get eaten alive in the more physical Championship. Still might have something to offer in the Prem, was quite impressive under Keegan when he dropped a bit deeper. Very clever finisher and you don't need to be the quickest when you have that.

Will always love him for those special moments - what other England player can say they've scored against all of England's biggest rivals more than once? Argentina three times, Germany at least three times, France at least once, Brazil at least twice. A lot of important and high pressure games with him on the scoresheet. A legend IMO.

finetime

Houllier destroyed his career with all the "strengthening" work they did, taking away his acceleration and increasing susceptibility to injury. He's so one-dimensional now it's almost like playing with 10 men although saying that his predatory instincts are first class and he will score goals. It's just whether these goals are worth the sacrifice in other areas a player like owen causes.

I also disliked his "england first" mentality and if i were a newcastle fan contributing to his astronomical wages and all owen cares about is getting fit for england i would be seriously cheesed off!

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I also disliked his "england first" mentality
I think that's why I like him so much! Most players put country after their clubs by a long distance these days.

Last edited:

GrecianInWales

I honestly think he'd be best moving out of England. Maybe Scotland (Rangers or Celtic), or even MLS or A League. I'm struggling to think of other foreign league where his current style of play would work, of where clubs would take a chance on him.

ECFC TOM

A fully fit Michael Owen will get goals in the Premier League. Thing is, he's never fully fit.

benh

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8131801.stm

Owen to Man United? Who saw that one coming? :-O

i dont know if i posted that on this forum, but i did somewhere, about a month ago