• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Memories of past Oldham games

citizen33

One teenage memory that came to mind the other day (must be an old fart) was the high of coming home from a great City win and going for a kickabout in the park with my mates. Warm summer evenings, the smell of fresh-cut grass, trying to imitate what your heroes had just done ... you get the picture. The game in my day dream was 21 August 1965, a 4-0 home win on the opening day of the season against Oldham Athletic. On that sunny afternoon all seemed right with the world: Banksy was back from his broken leg and bagged a brace, our new signing big George McLean looked dangerous and scored, the future seemed bright. Of course, it turned out to be a false dawn and we got relegated that season. Wouldn’t it be nice to repeat that score on Saturday but this time tip things the other way so we stay up?

Last edited:

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
That was the last time we beat Oldham....

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
Going up to Boundary Park, early 90's in the League Cup. City were 1-0 down from the first leg and Oldham were in the top flight. Tremendous display of singing for the full 90. The game finished 0-0 and we went out of the League Cup at the first round stage as usual. But after the match, a Director (can't remember which one, but you will know which one when I tell you that he was about 70 and had grey hair) got on the bus at the end of the game to thank us for our support.

Dunt happen offen, I tell thee.

Wellyred

Going up to Boundary Park, early 90's in the League Cup. City were 1-0 down from the first leg and Oldham were in the top flight. Tremendous display of singing for the full 90. The game finished 0-0 and we went out of the League Cup at the first round stage as usual. But after the match, a Director (can't remember which one, but you will know which one when I tell you that he was about 70 and had grey hair) got on the bus at the end of the game to thank us for our support.

Dunt happen offen, I tell thee.
yeh myself and wivey grecian were there for that one. we sung from start to finish...and if my memory serves me well ronnie jepo hit the post come the end. one of our few good performances in the early nineties.

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
That must've been the second round surely? We were Lg1 and they were Prem at the time. I'm trying to think who we'd beaten. Walsall, perhaps? (But if it was Walsall, who did we beat to get the Derby County tie a couple of years later?)

I also remember our good singing and hitting the post. Remember also the game kicked off very late due to a pre-match floodlight failure.

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
That must've been the second round surely? We were Lg1 and they were Prem at the time. I'm trying to think who we'd beaten. Walsall, perhaps? (But if it was Walsall, who did we beat to get the Derby County tie a couple of years later?)

I also remember our good singing and hitting the post. Remember also the game kicked off very late due to a pre-match floodlight failure.
One of them was Walsall, the other was hammering Birmingham 4-1 at St Andrews

citizen33

One of them was Walsall, the other was hammering Birmingham 4-1 at St Andrews
Yep, remember that Birmingham game. Didn't Eamo score two or three? I made the mistake of saying to a steward on the way out that we didn't get many results like that away from home. I don't speak Brum but there were a lot of words beginning with 'F'.

Well-known Exeweb poster
Seeing Ray wilson England left back and world cup winner play 4 oldham

at the park, was it 69 ish?.

Last edited:

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
I remember going to Boundary Park on a cold december day. We were rubbish and the closest we came was when someone hit the bar. The most memorable thing about it was these two American girls who were supposed to be there but weren't allowed in ;)

Thames Valley Red

Yep, remember that Birmingham game. Didn't Eamo score two or three? I made the mistake of saying to a steward on the way out that we didn't get many results like that away from home. I don't speak Brum but there were a lot of words beginning with 'F'.
Eamo scored two that night in Brum and remember the flag the size of a frigates' ensign. I ran a minibus for Oldham cup game from Yorkshire that match.

Happy days!