• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

MDT Exeter v Chelsea : PJT 7pm KO

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
It basic goalkeeping that a keeper with the kind of footballing education that Lee has had should be able to deal with. I don't care whether he is 16 or 40.
Sloblock.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Sad to see fans writing off a 16 year old keeper :(

Reactions: WXF

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster

Sorry Hants but they are not writing off Harry Lee just commenting on the goal and his approach to it. I am of the same opinion as Ian that he turned away from the ball as the shot came in, something he will learn from, but we can't all be hip hip hooray for everything he does and not call it as it was. No doubt Scott Brown will be going over this with him in training (as well as showing the straight comparison of approach to penalty savings with that of the Chelsea Keeper), to aid his development, if he listens and learn he will be one helluva keeper - kerching££££.

The sad thing with Pete is that he doesn't comment on too many of the positives, and only highlights the negatives

andrew p long

perhaps better for the Harry Lee thread rather than the MTD, but I thought we saw in the game why many of the young players (including Lee Rowe and Dodd) are currently good enough at their respective ages to be picked to be on the bench (quite something at 16 for Lee) but not yet first choice. Some good saves and overall a decent performance by Lee, but twice he didn't narrow the angle for oncoming strikers and didn't minimise their chance of scoring. That doesn't mean he played badly or won't make it, but it is definitely a technique/skill/method that he needs to do better in the future and for when he is in the first team.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It wasnt the greatest of games in all honesty, but i was impressed with what i saw of chelsea who were big not afraid of a tackle and knocked the ball around with confidence, and also some of what we done last night. Pond looks a player, tall not bad on the ball either although he did get turned inside out and was chasing the player that scored in vein for Chelseas goal. Edwards was full of energy and a real live wire, i almost want to say he had a free role within the system last night, he was all over the pitch always on the ball and always wanting the ball. If these games are for players to go out and impress MT then edwards done just that. Rowe like someone already mentioned in the thread had his hands tied slightly by the opposition RB/RWB but its clear to see he is way off the starting 11 at this stage. I did feel Seymour and Nombe were somewhat starved of service and had very little to work off other than scraps, that changed a little towards the end when Brown and MJ were in the fold. I know he won the penalty and fair play for doing so but other than that and scoring in the shootout yet again seymour was largely anonymous. Dodd not bad at all again i do like him and hope he can get that loan to get regular football and then see where we are at with him. Great to see young Michael Lilley make his 1st team debut too, exactly what we do in this comp in giving young players that opportunity, booked to stop a chelsea breakaway but he did himself no harm at all and just played the ball simply and did the basics right.
I do feel a bit sorry for Seymour. He gets to play in all the matches where, for whatever reason, the rest of the team are struggling to create many opportunities for him and then for the one match he's not involved, he has to sit in the stands and watch the other players take advantage of some of the worst defending I can remember seeing

grecIAN Harris

Sorry Hants but they are not writing off Harry Lee just commenting on the goal and his approach to it. I am of the same opinion as Ian that he turned away from the ball as the shot came in, something he will learn from, but we can't all be hip hip hooray for everything he does and not call it as it was. No doubt Scott Brown will be going over this with him in training (as well as showing the straight comparison of approach to penalty savings with that of the Chelsea Keeper), to aid his development, if he listens and learn he will be one helluva keeper - kerching££££.

The sad thing with Pete is that he doesn't comment on too many of the positives, and only highlights the negatives
Exactly this, I made a comment about the goal he conceded not his performance in general. I have not written him off in any context. What we're getting, as usual, is the one eyed Exeweb over reaction to a bit of critique of one of our own. Personally, I'm excited about Harry Lee. In terms of physicality he is years ahead of our last two goalkeeping graduates to make the first team in Christy Pym and Martin Rice. With that physicality you'd like to think there is presence. Those two go along way to making a good goalkeeper. Unfortunately I wasn't able to go on Tuesday to find and so only had the highlights to go off. He made one reasonable save that I think he would have been disappointed to have conceded if it had gone in, regardless of how spectacular it might have looked, and conceded the goal to which I should think you've worked out my opinion.

grecIAN Harris

It's a solid save that he'd expect to save Hants. Again, usual one eyed Exeweb over reaction to one of our own.

geoffwp

I dont see it as one eyed to be protective about a very young kid playing in a big game Ian. If anything I think that sometimes exeweb can be one eyed in it's often tedious sometimes obsessive critique of a single aspect without acknowledging any positive. I was taught that criticism ought to be sandwiched between positive points if it's going to be healthy. That's all really. When I read yours and Pete's comment all I saw was criticism. Fair enough it's an incident you saw but there must have been positive incidents too shirley?

grecIAN Harris

I dont see it as one eyed to be protective about a very young kid playing in a big game Ian. If anything I think that sometimes exeweb can be one eyed in it's often tedious sometimes obsessive critique of a single aspect without acknowledging any positive. I was taught that criticism ought to be sandwiched between positive points if it's going to be healthy. That's all really. When I read yours and Pete's comment all I saw was criticism. Fair enough it's an incident you saw but there must have been positive incidents too shirley?
Read the last two lines Geoff, it explains everything for you. And I'm guessing you've only read the second post and completely ignored the first to which I refer about the last two lines. Another favourite Exeweb trait, that we've all been a little bit guilty of occassionally but some a lot more than others, read that negative and jumped on it.

Last edited:

Grecian Max

Lee is a child, however he's been selected for a adult game so it's fair to talk about how he did. Not great keeping for that goal for sure, but of course something to work on.