• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - sacked by Rotherham & employed by Bristol Rovers

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
How can it be our loss? He was never in the frame to return so there’s no loss for us.
He left us in the autumn of 2022. I was referring to his departure then (yes, I know it was to Rotherham originally). However, he was a loss to us at that point and his rocking up at Rovers is their gain now. My post was never about him coming back to us. An earlier post of mine made the point that a returning manager very rarely works. Get it now? 🤔

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm delighted that Taylor is the choice, mostly based on his success and style of football with Exeter.
Out of interest what style do you think you will be getting from Taylor?

geoffwp

Not bothered by this appointment. MT bailed out when he realised our financial limitations.
That's another conspiracy theory though isn't it. He left, like most if not all managers would, when offered a shed load more money along with the chance to prove himself at championship level. It would have been a no brainer for someone with a growing young family.

logman

Out of interest what style do you think you will be getting from Taylor?
Short back and sides with a side parting. :D

STURTZ

That's another conspiracy theory though isn't it. He left, like most if not all managers would, when offered a shed load more money along with the chance to prove himself at championship level. It would have been a no brainer for someone with a growing young family.
Conspiracy theory?

You then go on to describe exactly the reasons I said he would want to move on! Financial limitations at ECFC.

Best of luck Matt and well done for escaping dick head City supporters that write a lot but don't really say much.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Short back and sides with a side parting. :D
me thinks the gas head may have made some ill informed assumptions in relation to Matty's style of play

geoffwp

Conspiracy theory?

You then go on to describe exactly the reasons I said he would want to move on! Financial limitations at ECFC.

Best of luck Matt and well done for escaping dick head City supporters that write a lot but don't really say much.
You really shouldn't beat yourself up like that

Memphis09

He's been awful under Gary I think that's the issue Taylor did always get the best out of him.
Yes but it was Taylor who also said he could not pass the ball to a city player
That’s one thing he got right

Grecianman135

Yes but it was Taylor who also said he could not pass the ball to a city player
That’s one thing he got right
True but at least he didn't take the **** out of the lad throwing him out of his comfort zone sticking him up top..

Chieck was a better player under Taylor on the whole.

curlywurly

me thinks the gas head may have made some ill informed assumptions in relation to Matty's style of play
You might be right and I'd welcome the view of Exeter fans on Taylor's style of play. I think I'm after effective football and there is no doubt that Taylor delivered that for you as manager, especially in 2021-22.
Barton attempted to turn us into Arsenal or Man City, or at least play a form of possession football, playing out from the back. Despite a pretty good squad on paper, the problem is that we've been wasteful in attack and porous in defence and lacking physicality. I think Taylor is more practical as a manager and, from what I've seen addresses the deficiencies that Rovers have shown so far. Whether he can do it with this squad of players remains to be seen.

As long as he is more successful than our previous Bath City and Exeter Manager, I'll be reasonably happy.
Scatter L2.jpg

Last edited: