• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - Opinions so far..

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not your best idea here Pete I'm sad to say.
It's not a particularly strong shortlist to choose from though.

It's barely September, any thread to discuss how the manager is doing serves no purpose at the best of times but is absolutely pointless until at least the new year.

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Although today was disappointing I think Lincoln are a good side albeit irritating. I don't think we should be over reacting to a couple of losses.

We need to see us play another six games at least to assess with a bit of accuracy. If we were losing like today to Cheltenham for example I would be more concerned.

I think we have quality in the squad and I like the way Matt talks, would really like us to be challenging for the top seven and think we will, but feel there is a positive feeling around the club and Matt deserves time to grow into the roll. Wouldn't consider another change to be the right thing for at least a year unless we were badly struggling. I would hope Matt would be in charge at least for two or three seasons.

Last edited:

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
It’s really early days for Matt - I think our strongest 11 when all available will match most sides in the league on our day...

Lincoln & MK Dons are better sides than us & Both real title challengers IMO so it’s no embarrassment losing to them...

After 10 games the league will start to take shape & I think a top 10 finish in his first season would be a good effort for Matt Taylor

PeteUSA

I think a top 10 finish in his first season would be a good effort for Matt Taylor
I think one or two might be expecting a bit better than that. More than one person has said they'll settle for the playoffs this season, but the autos would be nice.

CREDYGRECIAN

I think one or two might be expecting a bit better than that. More than one person has said they'll settle for the playoffs this season, but the autos would be nice.
Of course they have and that’s fair play....everyone is entitled to there own opinion ain’t they

We won’t get automatic promotion with MK Dons , Lincoln & Mansfield around IMO

Last edited:

Grecian Max

Long long season.

The guy has had 6 league games ffs. 10 points is a decent enough return - the league doesn’t start to take shape for a few months yet and even then is hardly fixed. It’s been a disappointing week but he’s going to loose games, this is league 2 EVERYONE loses a fair few games - even the champions most years.

My main issue atm is I think he’s got himself in a bit of a tangle in midfield. Taylor as captain made sense in a way but making him essentially guaranteed a starter has caused some real balance issues. Boateng is good enough but needs to be played in the centre, with Tillson...

Notts County is a bit of a dodgy one because they are a much better team than bottom of the league and I suspect will go on a decent in soon. Will they still be on 1 point after next Saturday... I’d say unlikely.

Need to get behind MT anyway and I’m sure that will happen - people forget after the Tis monotony that actually City fans do traditionally get behind the side in adversity.

Last edited:

haka

Comparisons with Tisdale should be like for like. Not with the guy who left, but the guy who was appointed.

But it's been so long since we had a new manager to moan about. Last time it happened, the GFC was a football club, there was a bloke called Obama we'd never heard of, and only birds Tweeted. Even the Exeweb threads we posted by pigeon have died and gone to heaven ... er, hell, probably.

On that basis, we should probably slag off Taylor the PE teacher all the way to the play-offs this season, and promotion next.

IndoMike

I find it ridiculous that various posters are having a go at Matt after just 6 League games (and 10 points), whilst of course totally accepting their right to comment. Some people were even peed off that we lost at Fulham !!
Disappointed some people are jumping on Matt as revenge for the criticisms that Tisdale attracted in his last period at City. Of course he will make mistakes, but I am happy that we have hired a bloke who knows the club well, who is qualified, who is not a poser, and whose aim is to go out and win the game (i.e no defensive midfielder yesterday) even though it didn't work yesterday.
Lincoln is going places : if they don't get in the autos I'll eat my hat - and were able to bring in some great signings.
Just 6 league games, folks..give Matt a break at least until Xmas - then you can spout out your fire and fury if things are not going well.

Saint James

It’s really early days for Matt - I think our strongest 11 when all available will match most sides in the league on our day...

Lincoln & MK Dons are better sides than us & Both real title challengers IMO so it’s no embarrassment losing to them...

After 10 games the league will start to take shape & I think a top 10 finish in his first season would be a good effort for Matt Taylor
Pretty much sums it up excellent post. There's really nothing much else to say at this stage. As a club who haven't sacked a manager for 15 years or more we have benefited from a longer term viewpoint. I would suggest starting threads like this after 4 games is counter productive and will be seen on numerous message boards in Premiership clubs with short term thinking. There is enough space on the matchday thread for comments about the Managers tactics etc. The Notts County game should now see a concerted effort by all of us to lift the team and Manager. We need to support them without negativity and show them we care rather than getting on the back of the manager. Of course we can question the Manager but just let him have some kind of a honeymoon period please then assess things after at least 10 matches if not Christmas.

CREDYGRECIAN

I find it ridiculous that various posters are having a go at Matt after just 6 League games (and 10 points), whilst of course totally accepting their right to comment. Some people were even peed off that we lost at Fulham !!
Disappointed some people are jumping on Matt as revenge for the criticisms that Tisdale attracted in his last period at City. Of course he will make mistakes, but I am happy that we have hired a bloke who knows the club well, who is qualified, who is not a poser, and whose aim is to go out and win the game (i.e no defensive midfielder yesterday) even though it didn't work yesterday.
Lincoln is going places : if they don't get in the autos I'll eat my hat - and were able to bring in some great signings.
Just 6 league games, folks..give Matt a break at least until Xmas - then you can spout out your fire and fury if things are not going well.
I’ve read the thread and haven’t seen anyone have a go?