• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - 2 Years As ECFC Manager...

nick_exmouth

A lot of people ripped the Shrimpers for this but where is ours?

Appreciate that there is more to success than just a 'vision' but it shows ambition and a structured launchpad to get to the next level as a football club which is the main reason we are all fans, is it not?

They are in L1 and we are banging on about pitch improvements, Pride month, Grecian archives and virtual games for charity

All very laudable but I want to see a structured plan to get to L1 and beyond - the silence from the Club board and Trust on the future is damning

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
A lot of people ripped the Shrimpers for this but where is ours?

Appreciate that there is more to success than just a 'vision' but it shows ambition and a structured launchpad to get to the next level as a football club which is the main reason we are all fans, is it not?

They are in L1 and we are banging on about pitch improvements, Pride month, Grecian archives and virtual games for charity

All very laudable but I want to see a structured plan to get to L1 and beyond - the silence from the Club board and Trust on the future is damning
I'l go with the rest nick but Pitch Improvements are vital for us and it does need it.

nick_exmouth

I'l go with the rest nick but Pitch Improvements are vital for us and it does need it.
Not knocking any of that and we do need the pitch improvements - great to be informed - I think the SM team are great but that is BAU for a football club - where is our 5 year plan!?!

DB9

Not knocking any of that and we do need the pitch improvements - great to be informed - I think the SM team are great but that is BAU for a football club - where is our 5 year plan!?!
We did have one in the past, V5 or V10? Mind it all went a bit quiet on those.

nick_exmouth

We did have one in the past, V5 or V10? Mind it all went a bit quiet on those.
Which illustrates the point beautifully - good plans and visions do flex and adapt - no issue with that as long as you know what the end goal is but we (fans and Trust members) don't even get the benefit of knowing what the end goal is - Every successful business has short, medium and long term planning with scrutiny and governance - very difficult to get there if you don't know what the destination is

DB9

Which illustrates the point beautifully - good plans and visions do flex and adapt - no issue with that as long as you know what the end goal is but we (fans and Trust members) don't even get the benefit of knowing what the end goal is - Every successful business has short, medium and long term planning with scrutiny and governance - very difficult to get there if you don't know what the destination is
Perhaps and I'm not saying this as fact that the V10 was formed by one set of Trustees/Board Members, They moved on and the new people voted in decided not to take it further?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Perhaps and I'm not saying this as fact that the V10 was formed by one set of Trustees/Board Members, They moved on and the new people voted in decided not to take it further?
The Trust has a published Strategy document Trust Strategy 2020 | ECFC Supporters' Trust (weownexetercityfc.co.uk)

and the Club have a Charter Exeter City Football Club: Club charter - Exeter City FC though this is a short an aspirational document with little detail.

As I understand it the Club do also now have a 5 year business plan (the issue over which I resigned from the Trust Board) but it would be good if we could see an update from the Club Board of where they want to be in 5 years time (L1 presumably) and how they plan to get there. I guess we will get something at the next Trust AGM, or maybe at a forum at the start of the season.

Reactions: DB9

IndoMike

Looking at the improvements off the pitch like the proposed C&F developments, The fantastic Social Media platform we have and the all round positivity around the club it is IMHO ready to get to L1, Not just to struggle but really consolidate, It is now the time for the on field to improve, I know 23 other teams are thinking the same but I don't care about them, Its like when you have to rely on other results, You just think of yourselves, Let them worry about their team. I don't want us to be the "Nearly team" of L2.

This is not about going for bust, It wont happen because we have people in charge who are sensible, Its taken them this long to get the off field in the brilliant state its in now, They won't blow all that!
If you don't go up sooner or later you go down. (Shakespeare)

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can do no better than to quote again from Alice in Wonderland (perhaps the most subversive book ever written in English):

'Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?'
'That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.
'I don't much care where--' said Alice.
'Then it doesn't matter which way you go,' said the Cat.
'--so long as I get SOMEWHERE,' Alice added as an explanation.
'Oh, you're sure to do that,' said the Cat, 'if you only walk long enough.'

Banksy

Or words of wisdom for Matt Taylor as he seeks to build that winning team.

I want to build a team
that’s invincible,
so that they have to send
a team from bloody Mars
to beat us.

Bill Shankly