• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Manager

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Could it be GC is attempting to re-educate a 'pragmatic and hard working' lower league team, into learning a different version of the game, as AI describes in the article ?

It'll take time to develop a possession-based game, playing at speed, with intent and purpose. He could well enjoy watching it should we ever get there, and so might we.

Trouble is by the time he’s finished his re-education plans all the current players will be gone and he’ll have to start again with a new lot. It’s results right now the Club needs.Else it will be League Two and disappearing support.

Stelios

What's funny if you listen to football phone-ins is Premier League club fans often complain about their own teams 'playing out from the back' and their players not being good enough to do it. Last one I heard was a Chelsea fan :LOL:

So you can't blame lower league fans for complaining too. What brand of football did Nathan Jones' Luton play when they tore us apart at SJP in 2017? That's what I'd love to see (appreciate Jones has fallen from grace since then)

Stelios

What's funny if you listen to football phone-ins is Premier League club fans often complain about their own teams 'playing out from the back' and their players not being good enough to do it. Last one I heard was a Chelsea fan :LOL:

So you can't blame lower league fans for complaining too. What brand of football did Nathan Jones' Luton play when they tore us apart at SJP in 2017? That's what I'd love to see (appreciate Jones has fallen from grace since then)
Just seen we had James & Tillson in centre mid that day so that might explain it! 🙃

sidney

We had a cat called Sid - officially "Sidi Qut" (My Lord the Cat).
Many thanks for the generally good-natured responses to my apparently altruistic post. The thing is, I actually think the 'play by the rules/don't waste time/'gentlemanly'/proper approach might well work. I don't recall the game ( but I think Ollie was playing ) when we scored an equalizer away from home and ran the ball back to the centre circle: what a message that sent to our supporters and the opposition!

If you take a quick throw-in from the right spot on the touchline, you may well gain a 'no huddle' advantage. Gaining more from the disorganization of their defence than from the micro-positioning of our attack. And could there be a benefit from not annoying the opposing fans, and the referee?

Why not take corners really quickly ( and, no, I don't mean short corners! )? We don't score from them since Stubbs left.

And whatever happened to 'attack being the best form of defence'? Why adopt the English 'Sven' malaise of retreating into our penalty area as soon as we go 1-0 up? Surely we led 1-0 because we attacked and we were better than them. And I have never understood bringing everyone back when they get a corner. We should always leave one man up, and perhaps two, ( or even three - I'm getting carried away: I'll stop there ).

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
I actually think sidney is right, we need to have a different approach and I like the cut of his jib.

And I think it was Newport away but could be wrong.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
And whatever happened to 'attack being the best form of defence'? Why adopt the English 'Sven' malaise of retreating into our penalty area as soon as we go 1-0 up? Surely we led 1-0 because we attacked and we were better than them. And I have never understood bringing everyone back when they get a corner. We should always leave one man up, and perhaps two, ( or even three - I'm getting carried away: I'll stop there ).
When Terry Venables died I heard Gary Lineker talking about his time at Barcelona with El Tel and how he was always trying to be innovative. One week Venables asked Lineker what he thought about pushing everyone forward when Barca had a corner, the theory being 'what would the opposition do, would they have to pull everyone back?'.

Apparently they spent a whole week testing the theory in training...before deciding it was a stupid idea 🤣

sidney

When Terry Venables died I heard Gary Lineker talking about his time at Barcelona with El Tel and how he was always trying to be innovative. One week Venables asked Lineker what he thought about pushing everyone forward when Barca had a corner, the theory being 'what would the opposition do, would they have to pull everyone back?'.

Apparently they spent a whole week testing the theory in training...before deciding it was a stupid idea 🤣
Great story. What happens if we put four forwards on the halfway line when they have a corner? They would have to leave five back at least presumably to mark them. Otherwise if our keeper collects the ball from the corner or a defender clears, we have four on four, recognized as a very strong attacking position.

If they leave five back, then that means they have only five forward (one of which is taking the corner ) against our seven defenders, which includes the keeper who can handle it, obviously a huge advantage.

The thing is that a corner for the opposition is an attacking opportunity. At the time of the corner, two of their team, the corner taker and their keeper, are effectively. albeit temporarily, out of the game.

A lot depends on whether your keeper is one that comes and gets corners.

sidney

I actually think sidney is right, we need to have a different approach and I like the cut of his jib.

And I think it was Newport away but could be wrong.
Thanks Fred,

Modern football is in many ways very formulaic. ECFC, largely because we are fan-owned, but also because of our unique ground, etc., is distinctive and, well, a bit special. I'm sure every fan thinks the same of his club, but there it is. So I think a subtle approach to develop and exploit that distinctiveness is how I see a clever marketing person would try to create our 'brand'/identity. As I think I said earlier, not by shouting it from the rooftops, but quietly and incrementally.