• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Manager takes 50% pay cut...

AlanDevlin

Players baulking at 15%.....

Any idea if similar discussions may be taking place around SJP or C&F?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25769725

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
I believe Tis and the players all took pay cuts when we were relegated, however, I'd be surprised if anything was being discussed at the moment.

Cuts need to be made, but I think they need to be made off the field, before resorting to players wages.

As an aside, I know it's a different sport, but Bradford Bulls were recently asked to take a pay cut, when their owner who had saved the club the year before, by coming in as they were on the brink of going bust, then walked out.

Not one player agreed to it and that really grates on me. This in turn has annoyed a lot of the fans and there are a fair amount who have not renewed their season tickets. They have since been saved by the skin of their teeth again, but it is well known that this is only temporary and they are far from safe.

If we were to get to that position, I would hope the players would agree to that, if they have been wise with their money, then there is no reason why most couldn't afford a pay cut.

Max Payne 2

'If we were to get to that position, I would hope the players would agree to that, if they have been wise with their money, then there is no reason why most couldn't afford a pay cut."

Because they don't have bills to pay, families to support and so forth? Those that give up income are exceptional, not the expected. The problem here lies not with the players but overextending on the part of the board and management. To not renew a season ticket on this basis is just self defeating.

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
'If we were to get to that position, I would hope the players would agree to that, if they have been wise with their money, then there is no reason why most couldn't afford a pay cut."

Because they don't have bills to pay, families to support and so forth? Those that give up income are exceptional, not the expected. The problem here lies not with the players but overextending on the part of the board and management. To not renew a season ticket on this basis is just self defeating.
I completely agree, first and foremost before any playing wages are cut, then off field wage cuts should be made.

Players have bills etc, but they are not on national average or minimum wage, so there is no reason why they won't have put money aside, or invested it in property like a lot do, to cover for when their career is over.

Backing Tisdale now, more than ever. He is doing a
Wage cuts at board room level, must come long before the manager or his players, are asked to take a further cut in pay. As said by Max, players have bill's to pay and families to support. Most of our players will be on very modest wages, I would imagine. I don't see why players should take a cut, whilst Julian Tagg flaunts his wealth with a Range Rover Sport, with the number plate TAGGY, written upon it. Talk about rub salt in the wounds, when we can't even afford a wage for Steve Tully. Also, I would like to know what sort of money gets claimed as 'expenses', annually. That could be a right eye opener.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Get rid of half the commercial team for starters.

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
If my employer asked me to take a pay cut because they had mismanaged the business, I would refuse - not because I couldn't afford the cut, but because I don't see why I should earn below what I am worth because they have failed. I don't see why any player should see it any different (unless a local lad and genuine fan of the club perhaps) and certainly wouldn't expect them to.

Again, comparing the situation to if it was me in that position, I would be confident of getting another job on the same or more money within a couple of weeks, as I suspect many of the players would be, so it isn't a case of "take a cut or risk the company folding and being out of work"

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
If my employer asked me to take a pay cut because they had mismanaged the business, I would refuse - not because I couldn't afford the cut, but because I don't see why I should earn below what I am worth because they have failed. I don't see why any player should see it any different (unless a local lad and genuine fan of the club perhaps) and certainly wouldn't expect them to.

Again, comparing the situation to if it was me in that position, I would be confident of getting another job on the same or more money within a couple of weeks, as I suspect many of the players would be, so it isn't a case of "take a cut or risk the company folding and being out of work"
I think your comparison is somewhat wide of the mark...There are 100's of players out there looking for a chance..I can't think of many in our squad who would relish the thought of giving up a contract on the basis that they could get another "within a couple of weeks"

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think your comparison is somewhat wide of the mark...There are 100's of players out there looking for a chance..I can't think of many in our squad who would relish the thought of giving up a contract on the basis that they could get another "within a couple of weeks"
Especially some of our older less impacting players...........

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Especially some of our older less impacting players...........
Agreed. Maybe Hants should have one of his polls asking which players would be most likely to get a new club within two weeks if ECFC folded tomorrow?