• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Macclesfield Relegated

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
the EFL fit and proper persons test needs improving but in some cases these people are the only show in town so the EFL will let them take control of the clubs so that if/when they fail they don’t get the blame.
There is something fundamentally wrong with the financial governance of English football in general.

DawlishBouy

fair enough, sure Macca will be fine, be nice to see them back in the football league as quick as possible. All they need is an ambitious owner to run them sensibly.
It took AFC Wimbledon 9 seasons to get to the Football League. AFC Macclesfield won’t come remotely close to doing that unless they find someone like Peter Lim.

i8cornwall

Then the EFL has to have the balls, Even if these people are the only ones with an "Offer" on the table, to say sorry we don't think you're the right person to take on this club. Even the PL did that with the Newcastle deal, Somehting fishy with it and they said no.
In an ideal world they would but from ive read over Lockdown the EFL doesn’t have huge cash reserves in the bank so in most cases it’s the only show in town or the club goes bust, least with this route the club stays afloat for a bit longer and has some sort of slim chance of long term survival.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
buy a ticket though don’t you?
Whoosh?

DB9

In an ideal world they would but from ive read over Lockdown the EFL doesn’t have huge cash reserves in the bank so in most cases it’s the only show in town or the club goes bust, least with this route the club stays afloat for a bit longer and has some sort of slim chance of long term survival.
Surviving yes but its like keeping severely wounding animal alive, perhaps the best thing to do is put it out of its misery. Its not the EFL's job to keep clubs alive, Their job is to govern and see that their members play by the rules, Even though it seems that their fit and proper dept aren't fit for purpose.

Rosencrantz

The fit and proper test or Owners and Directors Test as it is actually called should be given over by the PL and EFL to an independent body as the PL and EFL are both compromised when taking the decision. Both organisations are tasked by the clubs to promote and sell the league's. Having clubs go bankrupt is a chicken and egg thing though. Making sure as much as possible that any new owners have the right integrity and backing to run a club will do so much to avoid a club going out of business and uphold the reputation of the league as being well run.

However when a club does get into trouble the PL and EFL are under enormous pressure that the club doesn't go bankrupt as it looks terrible for the brand. Then there is the pressure from fans, local MP's etc to help the club keep going. If there is a prospective buyer waiting in the wings but time is critical, the pressure from all sides on the PL and EFL to approve the deal is enormous. Too often they have given in to the pressure and passed or put off judgements which has let dodgy owners in and the league's look even worse.

Look at the criticism the PL are coming under for the Newcastle take over from the club, fans, local MP's and all for blocking a group who will not give the details required by the PL.

If it is an independent body, and the rules could do with some further regulation to add some teeth, it would take the compromise off the PL and EFL. It wouldn't solve all problems, but it will be a start.

i8cornwall

Surviving yes but its like keeping severely wounding animal alive, perhaps the best thing to do is put it out of its misery. Its not the EFL's job to keep clubs alive, Their job is to govern and see that their members play by the rules, Even though it seems that their fit and proper dept aren't fit for purpose.
fully agree, it’s not the EFL job to keep the clubs going but it’s a fine balance and not a decision I’d like to be making.

this isn’t just a problem here but one found all over Europe and is probably more an issue that UEFA should be looking at.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
It took AFC Wimbledon 9 seasons to get to the Football League. AFC Macclesfield won’t come remotely close to doing that unless they find someone like Peter Lim.
If they can get up and running as say AFC Macclesfield then I think they'll only drop 3 divisions.

Their Trust is looking to put a bid together to keep the club going.

DB9

If they can get up and running as say AFC Macclesfield then I think they'll only drop 3 divisions.

I hope their Trust can keep the club going, It will be a struggle to get back into the league, Their fanbase isn't that big and they have to compete with so many clubs in that area, I'm not talking about the big ones but those that are of similar size.

DawlishBouy

The highest league a newly formed club would get into would be the Northern Premier League Division One. That would require 4 promotions to get into The Football League. Without a rich benefactor they might never achieve it. It took Newport 25 years from a similar starting position.