• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

long ball target man tactics are unwatchable

rp42

Got the points today and I wouldn't give a sh!te if we do it the old Wimbledon way all the way to the top and beyond,you have to win how you can(clap)

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
I've said on the prediction thread that we will finish 18th and I still think that. We are getting good results at the moment against average to poor sides which I'm obviously delighted with, but when we play better teams we will struggle - not because of the physical game we might adopt, but because Bennett and Davies can't pass to a teammate very often, Gow is too temperamental / a liability, Baldwin isn't a right back, Coles has his limitations and Artur is liable to throw one in his own net every twelve games or so.

So no, I'll leave the bet to others :)

Grecian1966

I'm frankly astounded we got three points today. We certainly did not deserve them, but that's by the by. We will come up against classier sides than Northampton this season and when we do they way that the team is set up now will be found wanting.

Fifty quid to the next poster who says we'll make playoffs. How about that. It's my firm belief that long ball will do no better than mid table so it's time to put my money where my mouth is.

Have at it.
Wise man once said "When in hole stop digging";(

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I'm frankly astounded we got three points today. We certainly did not deserve them, but that's by the by. We will come up against classier sides than Northampton this season and when we do they way that the team is set up now will be found wanting.

Fifty quid to the next poster who says we'll make playoffs. How about that. It's my firm belief that long ball will do no better than mid table so it's time to put my money where my mouth is.

Have at it.
Not convinced of play offs so wouldn't take the bet but still pleased we are doing better than I thought we would so far.

Tisdale did say he thought Northampton were the best side we had played so far, and apart from akinfenwa they appear to have a very similar squad to last season so would be interesting to know what you and others who were there think about the performances today verses last seasons three nil up there. As I recall Northampton were long ball last season and got within one game of promotion, even if they did get hammered by Bradford.

wemissmoxey

Have at it.
Anon,

To be fair to you the stats indicate today could well have been a smash and grab type result.

My question to you is how did you think we played last season ??? For large parts we were dire whilst apparently trying to play tippy tappy passing football, the fact of the matter is we had Cureton who was able to get us out of jail on numerous occasions, I am not an advocate of the long ball game, what I am in favour of is effective football, sometimes we will need to play through teams, sometimes we will need to be more direct, if we are capable of doing both then that is a big improvement on recent years.

For the record I don't think we will reach the play offs, I think we have been pretty fortunate so far this season without looking particularly good.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I thought the problem with this tactic today is that he needed someone with him to make it work. He won quite a few of these balls, but needed to head the ball on to someone or quick short pass so he could unhook the defender. All too often kicking the ball long to Parkin by the defence/midfield just seem to be done for their convenience rather than anything usefully tactically. Northampton inevitably got the ball back and put the pressure back on the City defence.

A bit like our quickly taken free kicks. We gain a yard of territory before returning the ball to the opposition.

Pobbop

I've said on the prediction thread that we will finish 18th and I still think that. We are getting good results at the moment against average to poor sides which I'm obviously delighted with, but when we play better teams we will struggle - not because of the physical game we might adopt, but because Bennett and Davies can't pass to a teammate very often, Gow is too temperamental / a liability, Baldwin isn't a right back, Coles has his limitations and Artur is liable to throw one in his own net every twelve games or so.

So no, I'll leave the bet to others :)
Not sure about the not playing good teams thing we've beaten Morcambe and Wimbledon who are up there, and drawn against Mansfield who are 8th.

Darren Moxey

Resigned
Not sure about the not playing good teams thing we've beaten Morcambe and Wimbledon who are up there, and drawn against Mansfield who are 8th.
No we haven't.

Pobbop

No we haven't.
ahh indeed, good point. for the record I'm not really sure how it'll go, but in the end getting a win away from home has always been good for city in league football, even in the Championship year, we struggled at first. So I don't much care how we played or how we did it, I don't see how anyone can make a negative out of todays result.

Darren Moxey

Resigned
ahh indeed, good point. for the record I'm not really sure how it'll go, but in the end getting a win away from home has always been good for city in league football, even in the Championship year, we struggled at first. So I don't much care how we played or how we did it, I don't see how anyone can make a negative out of todays result.
I didn't think we played too badly today. Sure, we could have been 0-3 down after the first 25 minutes, but we weren't and were more than a match for Northampton for the rest of the match. We picked up some great results on the road last season, often as the second-best team on the day. If we can keep up the decent home form, then I believe we will be well worth a top 7 finish.