• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Little things that annoy you

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
The chap who buys loads of cheap crisps & the like from Poundland then sits in Sidwell St( & other streets)chucking them on the pavement for the pigeons & seagulls..Sidwell St is bad enough as it is without flocks of gulls swooping down.

Pretty sure it’s classed as littering too.
Yep, just walked through the little alleyway past Savers. More like crunched my way through.

Colesman Ballz

Yep, just walked through the little alleyway past Savers. More like crunched my way through.
Next thing you know the place will be teeming with rats too ! ☹

DB9

The severity of the crime,it’s not a little thing.

Three chav turds kill a man without remorse and will be free by the time they hit their mid-twenties. Crime doesn't pay? Perhaps not,though the cost is clearly very reasonable - as cheap as an innocent man's life, apparently.
Scumbags who are a stain on society.Laughing in the dock.Their families were plotting to intimidate the Jury as well.
Hopefully their sentences will be increased

IndoMike

I doubt it. If the courts could prove beyond reasonable doubt that the accused intentionally murdered the policeman it would be different, but according to the trial the jury couldn't ascertain that, so the sentencing will probably not be altered (imo). I find it difficult to believe that the driver of the car didn't feel something, but I'm not the jury.

DB9

I doubt it. If the courts could prove beyond reasonable doubt that the accused intentionally murdered the policeman it would be different, but according to the trial the jury couldn't ascertain that, so the sentencing will probably not be altered (imo). I find it difficult to believe that the driver of the car didn't feel something, but I'm not the jury.
The Attorney General has the power to increase the sentences, Manslaughter carries a life tariff, It is the trial judge that sets that tariff and like in the past some have been deemed to leniant and have been increased, Which could happen with this case, As for a re-trial and bring in a murder charge that would be very difficult, Of course the family and friends of the victim would want that but the evidence was put before the CPS before any trial and even though the Police wanted a murder charge the CPS decided there was not enough evidence to convict on murder and decided the manslaughter charge was the best route.

IndoMike

The Attorney General has the power to increase the sentences, Manslaughter carries a life tariff, It is the trial judge that sets that tariff and like in the past some have been deemed to leniant and have been increased, Which could happen with this case, As for a re-trial and bring in a murder charge that would be very difficult, Of course the family and friends of the victim would want that but the evidence was put before the CPS before any trial and even though the Police wanted a murder charge the CPS decided there was not enough evidence to convict on murder and decided the manslaughter charge was the best route.
Yes. But the AG will not increase the sentence unless she has serious grounds for doing it.
However, she seems to be a puppet judging from her comments defending Cummings (which she had no right to make) so maybe a squeeze will be applied to persuade her to increase the sentence
My bet is no change, but we'll have to wait and see.
After watching them laughing during the trial I have no sympathy for them, of course

DB9

Yes. But the AG will not increase the sentence unless she has serious grounds for doing it.
However, she seems to be a puppet judging from her comments defending Cummings (which she had no right to make) so maybe a squeeze will be applied to persuade her to increase the sentence
My bet is no change, but we'll have to wait and see.
After watching them laughing during the trial I have no sympathy for them, of course
I think it will be increased, A high profile case where an on duty Policeman died and in a nasty way too. It'll be along the lines that the trial judge was "Unduly Leniant" when sentencing. Like you say, Them laughing during the trial shows what scum they really are.

IndoMike

I think it will be increased, A high profile case where an on duty Policeman died and in a nasty way too. It'll be along the lines that the trial judge was "Unduly Leniant" when sentencing. Like you say, Them laughing during the trial shows what scum they really are.
The easy thing to do would be to increase the sentence. The police, the policeman's family and friends, and a large part of the public would probably agree.
But the problem for the GA is that if she alters the sentence you can be sure that in other future cases there will be constant appeals from the accused and the family if the victims to decrease or increase the sentence.
I don't have any data but I guess the GAs normally don't want to get involved.

DB9

The easy thing to do would be to increase the sentence. The police, the policeman's family and friends, and a large part of the public would probably agree.
But the problem for the GA is that if she alters the sentence you can be sure that in other future cases there will be constant appeals from the accused and the family if the victims to decrease or increase the sentence.
I don't have any data but I guess the GAs normally don't want to get involved.
It is more common than you think increasing sentences, Just that the increases we don't hear of because they're not as high profile plus I the Ms Patel might have a quiet word in the AG's ear too.

IndoMike

It is more common than you think increasing sentences, Just that the increases we don't hear of because they're not as high profile plus I the Ms Patel might have a quiet word in the AG's ear too.
We'll see.