• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Little things that amuse you

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
I assume the self service tills reduce the need for staff or permit redeployment of staff but I have read conflicting data on that.

One assumes there is a cost benefit to the business in having these self service tills in place of manned tills.
Staff are always redeployed rather than replaced. Self service tills take up less space than manned ones so people can get through more quickly. Your conflicting data has been ill advised - self service tills never replace staff, they’re in addition to staff.

Grecian2K

By sheer serendipity I stumbled across this article from 2001 by the irreplaceable Nancy Banks Smith, TV and Radio critic, about the perils of BBC subtitling.
I know it's from the archive of the dreaded Guardian but I defy even the stauchest Tory royalist not to raise a smile. 🤣

Alistair20000

Now this did make me smile

1701636226529.png

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
I wonder if the savings on staff human resources costs outweigh the losses through theft ?
There was a joke going round recently about someone going to a staffed till and the total was £236.78 so they loaded it back into the trolley and used the self service till and the bill had gone down to £42.56 !

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
South West Water seem to be going ahead with the Desalination Plant idea. Personally I can't wait to try a glass of the tap water they are going to produce from the filthy sea water into which they continually pump their untreated sewage. Yum.

Swanaldo

There's a shop on Barnstaple High Street that has had Christmas trees and decorations in the window all year. Yep, all through summer they were trying unsuccessfully to shift plastic Christmas trees at 50% off.

The shop closed a couple of weeks ago, just in time for *checks notes* Christmas. You couldn't make it up!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The pub we were in on Saturday had held a Carol's Night on the Thursday. I do hope all the Carols enjoyed their evening.

iscalad

FB_IMG_1702989728463.jpg

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
The title Brian Rix gave his autobiography: "My Farce From My Elbow"

Grecian2K

Dodgy Christmas Song Lyrics.
(With due credit to the great Milton Jones).
Last Christmas, I gave you my heart
The very next day you gave it away
This year, to save me from tears....
....I'm tearing up my ****ing donor card

Any more?