• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Little things that amuse you

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
During the dryest spell since 1976 receiving a text this morning from the Environment Agency advising that our house is in a "high flood risk area".
Are you called Noah by any chance and the name of your gaff is Ark? :) :)

Grecian2K

Nice one DB (y)
I'd almost go so far as to call it a Titanic effort!

• Haha
Reactions: DB9

Alistair20000

Presumably that is the same EA that has just spent around ten years and countless millions improving Exeter's flood defences ! :p
Probably wise.

If you recall 1976 the affable buffoon Denis Howell was appointed Minister for Drought and ordered by the PM James (ho ho ho fella me lad) Callaghan to do a rain dance for the nation. He was dubbed the Minister for Rain as the heavens duly opened. Within weeks he morphed into Minister for Floods as too much of the wrong sort of rain fell. Later on he became Minister for Snow during a tough winter. I think we used to call footballers of that nature "utility players"

Memo to Boris: as a final act in your failed Ministry appoint the hopeless Gavin Williamson or Chris Failing Grayling as Minister for Drought (2022 version)

Colesman Ballz

Fans of Thomas The Tank Engine are being told to now call the Fat Controller, Sir Topham Hatt instead ! Bang goes 80 years of history !

Alistair20000

Fans of Thomas The Tank Engine are being told to now call the Fat Controller, Sir Topham Hatt instead ! Bang goes 80 years of history !
Cancel culture at work and the character is not even human. Pathetic.

fred binneys head

Pretty sure he’s been called that for years, ages before the word ‘woke’ was even invented.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Alistair20000

Pretty sure he’s been called that for years, ages before the word ‘woke’ was even invented.
My kids called him both The Fat Controller and Sir Topham Hatt.

Rosencrantz

My kids called him both The Fat Controller and Sir Topham Hatt.
He has always been Sir Topham Hatt but was originally known by the nickname the Fat Director before he became the Fat Controller (I had quite the complete set of Thomas the Tank Engine stories as a young child 🙂).

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
He has always been Sir Topham Hatt but was originally known by the nickname the Fat Director before he became the Fat Controller (I had quite the complete set of Thomas the Tank Engine stories as a young child 🙂).
Quite correct - I had the books too!