• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Lenny - What Happened?

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Football League show hightlights? What match were you watching...
I forgot there wasnt one.

Seems everyone will have to become Grecian Player subscribers to get the best available view of that goal!

mammooman

I forgot there wasnt one.

Seems everyone will have to become Grecian Player subscribers to get the best available view of that goal!
Or just go to the FA website to view highlights, well, goals, from every FA Cup Round 1 match.

ExiledUpNorth

Unfortunately, in one sense, I think pete's right. Pidgeley's position for the free-kick was completely wrong. From the angle that the kick was, he left too much of the near post uncovered, allowing what should have been a regulation save to become a goal. Yet, I don't think getting on his back straight away is the best thing. Alright he made a mistake and was at fault, but he'll know that when he see's the replay, and with Artur out injured, it's not like we have any other options.

For what it's worth, I think Pidgeley is no-where near the keeper Artur is. As a shot-stopper, he may well be better, and his 'show' saves (the penalties against Argyle, and the save from the header in that game) have resulted in the credit he gets from a vocal part of our fanbase in the bank.

All-round though, Artur is leaps ahead. His positioning is better, he's more aggressive off his line, and more vocal. And, this may be a point of controversy, but in my mind, Artur's kicking is much MUCH better than Lenny's. Yeh, some may go into touch every once in a while, but we play a tactic where our keepers are told to hit the line. Just compare the composure of both keepers when the ball lands at their weaker foot; Artur is more than comfortable to play it, Lenny looks like he's about to have a mental break down, and either hacks it away, or attempts to riskily cut it back onto his right.

Despite my comments, and getting back to the thread, I do actually believe Lenny is more than capable at this level (just that Artur, with a few tweaks to his game, will become a cut above) and that our keepers are really the least of our worries at the moment, despite the concern shown from across the pond...

PeteUSA

Unfortunately, in one sense, I think pete's right. Pidgeley's position for the free-kick was completely wrong. From the angle that the kick was, he left too much of the near post uncovered, allowing what should have been a regulation save to become a goal. Yet, I don't think getting on his back straight away is the best thing. Alright he made a mistake and was at fault, but he'll know that when he see's the replay, and with Artur out injured, it's not like we have any other options.

For what it's worth, I think Pidgeley is no-where near the keeper Artur is. As a shot-stopper, he may well be better, and his 'show' saves (the penalties against Argyle, and the save from the header in that game) have resulted in the credit he gets from a vocal part of our fanbase in the bank.

All-round though, Artur is leaps ahead. His positioning is better, he's more aggressive off his line, and more vocal. And, this may be a point of controversy, but in my mind, Artur's kicking is much MUCH better than Lenny's. Yeh, some may go into touch every once in a while, but we play a tactic where our keepers are told to hit the line. Just compare the composure of both keepers when the ball lands at their weaker foot; Artur is more than comfortable to play it, Lenny looks like he's about to have a mental break down, and either hacks it away, or attempts to riskily cut it back onto his right.

Despite my comments, and getting back to the thread, I do actually believe Lenny is more than capable at this level (just that Artur, with a few tweaks to his game, will become a cut above) and that our keepers are really the least of our worries at the moment, despite the concern shown from across the pond...
An excellent post, more or less how I would have summed our two up. The only point I would add, is that if we hadn't got that 93rd minute equaliser, then Lenny would have got it in the neck from all directions. As it turned out, we get to do it all again, and Lenny needs to work on his 'wall' positioning.

Antony Moxey

An excellent post, more or less how I would have summed our two up. The only point I would add, is that if we hadn't got that 93rd minute equaliser, then Lenny would have got it in the neck from all directions. As it turned out, we get to do it all again, and Lenny needs to work on his 'wall' positioning.
Would he? Why is it always the keepers? Do forwards not ever miss sitters, wide players not cross for well positioned strikers, midfielders fail to support forwards or protect defenders and defenders miss clearances? FFS it's a TEAM game and if the TEAM lose it's not always down to the keeper.

PeteUSA

Would he? Why is it always the keepers? Do forwards not ever miss sitters, wide players not cross for well positioned strikers, midfielders fail to support forwards or protect defenders and defenders miss clearances? FFS it's a TEAM game and if the TEAM lose it's not always down to the keeper.
I totally understand your point Ant, and you're not wrong. Its just that throughout time, a keeper has generally shouldered the blame when his error costs the team the game. Its because he's the easiest one to blame I guess, as opposed to the outfield players that play like sh*t and miss sitters.

Last edited:

exeterry

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's such a difficult one this. All the recent goalies we've had up the park have their own plus and minus points. Lenny MAY have been slightly out of position for the Walsall goal on Saturday, but to me, he has a more physical and noisier presence than Artur. However, Artur (although talkative to a degree) does seem to pull off some fantastic saves and seems the more agile of the two. Jonah was a brilliant shot-stopper for us, but did tend to flap like a headless chicken at times. Also he was a very quiet keeper. Loanee Hamer probably encompassed the best bits of all of them, but was not perfect. Personally, I think that all the keepers we've had recently have their own strengths and weaknesses and it is mighty difficult to say which one is best. Of course, it all depends on the team you're playing and the forward line faced as to which goalie will be suitable to face the opposition.

artur and pidgely great goalkeepers. could be worse we could still have jones in goal, no communication to back four, and couldnt keep the ball on the field god he was crap

STURTZ

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
artur and pidgely great goalkeepers. could be worse we could still have jones in goal, no communication to back four, and couldnt keep the ball on the field god he was crap
The same keeper that is currently earning rave reviews in the division above? Sheesh.

I haven't yet seen the goals from Saturday so will refrain from commenting, but on balance I prefer Pidgeley to Artur. Both have definite strengths and weaknesses, and it's pleasing to see Artur trying to shake off the "headless chicken" tag in recent weeks - this has been his major letdown for me, and he will be a fine keeper when this is fully addressed.