• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League One - 2023/24

sign of the chimes

So Portsmouth have players they don't even remember they have whilst Exeter assume they have players that are not actually signed up.

That's the reality.
😂 The club remembered, the fan on his second glass of red wine less so.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
You're right on the academy players, we've not produced much in recent years - there were a couple who looked like they might get an extension earlier in the season, and Mousinho was supposedly going to make a decision on Koby Mottoh in the last couple of weeks. I wonder whether promotion up a level has made that decision for him, as the pathways inevitbaly change. I'm only regurgitating stuff there, rather than stating an opinion - as I don't go and watch the youth sides.
It was quite a tough read...'we (Pompey) have released the following scholars....(then lists 12 names)...and have offered precisely zero professional contracts to scholars...'

Bridgy 81

It was quite a tough read...'we (Pompey) have released the following scholars....(then lists 12 names)...and have offered precisely zero professional contracts to scholars...'
Yes, it sounds a bit brutal but maybe it would have been different if Portsmouth had stayed in League One.
But with them being in the Championship next season they presumably thought that’d be a step too far for those youngsters at this time.
Hopefully Marcus and his team are familiar with them in case any may be able to do a job for us.

DawlishBouy

Portsmouth finished 3rd in the EFL Youth Alliance South West table, but having lost as many games as they won they were miles behind Swindon and Plymouth. In Merit League One they are currently 4th with a record of W4 D2 L3. Portsmouth normally challenge right at the top of these leagues. They were knocked out of the FA Youth Cup in the first round by Eastleigh. With a squad containing 12 second year scholars they would have expected far better results.

DawlishBouy

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
More ownership problems for Blackpool?

DawlishBouy

DawlishBouy

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
I know this isn’t necessarily a League 1 point but it relates to our ambitions to get out of League 1.

Last season (22-23) the total wage bill of Derby County was £19m. The average wage bill in the Championship that year was £35m.

If we do somehow go up it will be remarkable. If we stay up then we should rename the whole city of Exeter as Gary Caldwell.

sign of the chimes

I know this isn’t necessarily a League 1 point but it relates to our ambitions to get out of League 1.

Last season (22-23) the total wage bill of Derby County was £19m. The average wage bill in the Championship that year was £35m.

If we do somehow go up it will be remarkable. If we stay up then we should rename the whole city of Exeter as Gary Caldwell.
In terms of getting promoted it would be remarkable; but worth bearing in mind that Derby's wage bill will have been far and away the highest in the division. That I've seen Charlton mentioned as likely having the second highest this season and generally stinking the place out shows that whilst a big wage budget can help, it's no guarantee of success.

The Championship is mad but the average includes clubs with the parachute payments which skews things things; plus the TV award is currently £7-8m. If you got there and stayed up then Caldwell's managerial reputation (in general, not specific to ECFC) will have undergone a volte-face during his time with you.