• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 2 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Indeed - what sort of person doesn't do a full due diligence on a Football club (especially one with such a chequered recent history as Bury) before plunging in?

Sorry, but I have little to no sympathy for the guy.
Agreed, but what has a chequered history got to do with anything - I’d be questioning anyone who didn’t due diligence on ANY football club, pretty much all of them are basket cases. In fact, you’d have to question anyone who wanted to get involved in football at all these days, if you’re not putting in massive amounts of cash you’re racking up massive debts.

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

In fact, you’d have to question anyone who wanted to get involved in football at all these days, if you’re not putting in massive amounts of cash you’re racking up massive debts.
As John Madjeski once said ‘When the football club have cleaned me out of money,it will find some other mug to take my place’

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a whacky idea for any aspiring Football Club Chairmen - why not try to run the club in the same way you've clearly managed to run your other business(es) - by developing a sustainable business model based on full P&L analysis, spending only what you bring in, keeping staffing costs below a %age threshold. That sort of thing.

Oldsmobile-88

The proliferate spending & debt will only stop when a club ‘goes to the wall’

A few have been close recently.Pompey certainly should have gone with their debt.As sad as it would have been to have seen such a big club go.it would have focused minds on the crazy expenditure in football generally.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Here's a whacky idea for any aspiring Football Club Chairmen - why not try to run the club in the same way you've clearly managed to run your other business(es) - by developing a sustainable business model based on full P&L analysis, spending only what you bring in, keeping staffing costs below a %age threshold. That sort of thing.
And see your new toy plummet through the leagues

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
And see your new toy plummet through the leagues
We're near as dammit to that model*, and we're not plummeting.

*Yes, yes, I accept this is "open to debate"!

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
We're near as dammit to that model*, and we're not plummeting.

*Yes, yes, I accept this is "open to debate"!
And how close were we to folding again before the sales started coming thru

Antony Moxey

I guess the point is if everyone followed Jason’s suggestion then no-one would be plummeting anywhere. I suspect we’d all be pretty much where we are now, except everyone would be a few zeros further to right of the decimal point.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
That would be Utopia true and as you say if everybody applied sensible business practices then we should see less of these huge collapses, clubs competing more on an affordable basis with another consequence of following these practices being a reduction in the remuneration packages players and their agents receive, due to football having to finance football (the premier****e being the exception with their huge TV deals) with also a potential reduction in squad sizes.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bury have been put up for sale by their Chairman just five months after he took over. With a winding up order in May, he reckons they need £1.6M just to cover wages, HMRC, and pensions upto the end of May, with just £180,000 projected income due in over that period. They are currently in 2nd place and are more than likely to achieve promotion. If they do so, it will at the expense of those teams who have lived within their means of course. Makes my blood boil, should be kicked in to the Conference instead ! :mad:
Completely agree with the sentiments about Bury. However, it should be noted that of the 6 teams above only Lincoln and possibly MK are not running at a loss, one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.