• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Days of Glory

WWII film about Algerian and other North African soldiers who enlisted to help France's plight and fight with the Allies, first in Italy and then Southern France.

Bit more of a political statement than an action packed thriller. Worth a watch all the same. 6/10.

DB9

Days of Glory

WWII film about Algerian and other North African soldiers who enlisted to help France's plight and fight with the Allies, first in Italy and then Southern France.

Bit more of a political statement than an action packed thriller. Worth a watch all the same. 6/10.
I watched this a few years ago, It seemed like the Algerians were fighting for the "Mother Country" France but most had never set foot in France before the war, It was worth a watch plus, If you see the DVD cover for it with the three fighters, One of them has a canny resembelence to Jeremy Clarkson!

GJW

The Lovely Bones (2009). Peter Jackson movie (LOTR and The Hobbit). The subject of the movie is a little disturbing, a 14 year old is murdered by a serial killing neighbour who likes young girls. All this happens quite early in the movie. The intriguing and main part of the movie is the journeys of all the lead characters to their, let’s say, closure/conclusion. There is a little fantasy in this movie, as you would expect from Jackson, but it follows the family (parents and siblings) and how they deal with the murder and adapt to life without Susie. It follows the boyfriend and other acquaintances, and most intriguing, the murderer and his journey. Susie’s journey is also tracked as she attempts to intervene still after her her death.
I was quite gripped by the story and especially the ending. 7/10.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Cinema Paradiso (1988), an Italian film with English subtitles. A young Italian boy (Toto) living on Sicily develops his love of the cinema after developing a friendship with the projectionist. This is a beautiful film, told in three stages of Toto's life and well worth a watch for that for those that enjoy good films. 8/10.

GJW

The Lovely Bones (2009). Peter Jackson movie (LOTR and The Hobbit). The subject of the movie is a little disturbing, a 14 year old is murdered by a serial killing neighbour who likes young girls. All this happens quite early in the movie. The intriguing and main part of the movie is the journeys of all the lead characters to their, let’s say, closure/conclusion. There is a little fantasy in this movie, as you would expect from Jackson, but it follows the family (parents and siblings) and how they deal with the murder and adapt to life without Susie. It follows the boyfriend and other acquaintances, and most intriguing, the murderer and his journey. Susie’s journey is also tracked as she attempts to intervene still after her her death.
I was quite gripped by the story and especially the ending. 7/10.
It also stars a few recognisable names like Mark Wahlberg, Rachel Weisz and Susan Sarandon. Elizabeth Fraser (formerly of the Cocteau Twins) sings a couple of haunting tunes during the movie.

Banksy

Two entertaining westerns recorded off the TCM channel.
Gun Glory 1957 , Stewart Grainger , Chill Wills , Rhonda Fleming. Good action western with a very good opening song Ninety and Nine , sung by Burl Ives. Probably a B feature but good all the same.
Return of the Gunfighter 1967 , Robert Taylor and Chad Everett. Another good western that originally went straight to tv at the time.Plenty of action in this one and a good cameo role from John Davis Chandler as one of the baddie gunfighters.His face must have been his fortune , he always played those sort of nasty roles.Had droopy eyes a bit like Robert Mitchum.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Two entertaining westerns recorded off the TCM channel.
Gun Glory 1957 , Stewart Grainger , Chill Wills , Rhonda Fleming. Good action western with a very good opening song Ninety and Nine , sung by Burl Ives. Probably a B feature but good all the same.
Return of the Gunfighter 1967 , Robert Taylor and Chad Everett. Another good western that originally went straight to tv at the time.Plenty of action in this one and a good cameo role from John Davis Chandler as one of the baddie gunfighters.His face must have been his fortune , he always played those sort of nasty roles.Had droopy eyes a bit like Robert Mitchum.
I always thought Stewart Grainger looked equally good as both a cowboy and an army officer. I believe in Gun Glory he portrayed a absent husband/father who had to earn respect the hard way?

Sadley, Robert Taylor career was on the wane when he made several 'oaters' one after the other. Even before films like Invanhoe, Quo Vadis and Knights of the Round Table, he earned the sobriquet the handsomest man in Hollywood. Still, all good entertainment that deserve your recommendation Mr B.

Phillip

I finally watched Free Solo which I've had on my Virgin Box for ages. An oscar winning documentary about professional rock climber Alex Honnold as he attempts to conquer the first free solo climb of famed El Capitan's 900-metre vertical rock face at Yosemite National Park. Spoiler alert, very surprisingly he doesn't die. I loved this, some of the camera shots gave me vertigo in my living room and I found myself on the edge of my seat as he attempted the climb, even though I knew it was successful.

Banksy

I always thought Stewart Grainger looked equally good as both a cowboy and an army officer. I believe in Gun Glory he portrayed a absent husband/father who had to earn respect the hard way?

Sadley, Robert Taylor career was on the wane when he made several 'oaters' one after the other. Even before films like Invanhoe, Quo Vadis and Knights of the Round Table, he earned the sobriquet the handsomest man in Hollywood. Still, all good entertainment that deserve your recommendation Mr B.
Hello Stuffy! I always remember Stewart Grainger in The Prisoner of Zelda , that grand old swashbuckling film of 1952. James Mason played the devious Rupert of Hentzau superbly. With the never ending sword fight at the end. It followed closely the 1937 version with Douglas Fairbanks junior in the same part and Ronald Colman playing the one SG played. Always did like that tale!
I think Robert Taylor was ill when he made Return of the Gunfighter which actually suited his part of a world weary gunfighter.Liked Ivanhoe , but then I’ve always been a sucker for those sort of films.

Banksy

That was meant to be Zenda of course , bleddy predictive spelling .