• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last Band you saw

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Taunton Odeon hosted quite a few touring bands back in those days.

Bridgy, did you ever see The Mob, a punk anarchy type outfit ? They were originally from Somerset(Yeovil area)

Bridgy 81

Taunton Odeon hosted quite a few touring bands back in those days.

Bridgy, did you ever see The Mob, a punk anarchy type outfit ? They were originally from Somerset(Yeovil area)
Yes, for about 3-4 years in the late 70s early 80s the Odeon had tonnes of bands play there for some reason.
Besides The Stranglers I remember seeing Elvis Costello, Squeeze, The Buzzcocks, Richard Hell and the Voidoids and John Cooper-Clarke, which I presume are people which might tickle your fancy?
Other stuff I saw included Peter Gabriel, Rory Gallagher and UFO.
I also saw Adam and the Ants and Gary Glitter play there, but the less said about the latter the better, for obvious reasons.
Unfortunately I’m not familiar with The Mob and didn’t see them play.

Oldsmobile-88

Yes, for about 3-4 years in the late 70s early 80s the Odeon had tonnes of bands play there for some reason.

Unfortunately I’m not familiar with The Mob and didn’t see them play.
I was at college with the vocalist in The Mob, he decided life in the gas industry was not for him, but rock ‘n’ roll was 😁. Although they were a Somerset outfit, they moved up to ‘the smoke’ early on.
I was going to see them at the Phoenix a few years back but the pandemic scuppered that.

Spoonz Red E

I was at college with the vocalist in The Mob, he decided life in the gas industry was not for him, but rock ‘n’ roll was 😁. Although they were a Somerset outfit, they moved up to ‘the smoke’ early on.
I was going to see them at the Phoenix a few years back but the pandemic scuppered that.
We had them play with us on a couple of gigs back in the day.
They were just putting together the Witch Hunt E.P.

Good lads.

Oldsmobile-88

We had them play with us on a couple of gigs back in the day.
They were just putting together the Witch Hunt E.P.

Good lads.
Yes, I remember that one.

otterton reds

Saw the Vaccines at the O2 in Bristol last night

Mr Jinx

Haven't seen them yet...

...but secured AC/DC tickets today, for what will probably be their last ever tour! Excited you could say.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I also saw Adam and the Ants and Gary Glitter play there, but the less said about the latter the better, for obvious reasons.
I saw Gary Glitter at the Great Hall once. Have a vague recollection he used to spend a lot of time with his aunt in Topsham, although I might have dreamt this up.

As an aside, some interesting stuff here: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/alumnisupporters/memories/exetergigs/

iscalad

I saw Gary Glitter at the Great Hall once. Have a vague recollection he used to spend a lot of time with his aunt in Topsham, although I might have dreamt this up.

As an aside, some interesting stuff here: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/alumnisupporters/memories/exetergigs/
Nope. He played the Great Hall. There was a bit of a conflab before hand, and he refused to go on. His manager strong armed him on stage. He came on, on a motorbike as I recall. I believe it was the first time his aunt had seen him on stage.

Oldsmobile-88

Isca...Was The Pit, Cornwall House later renamed The Lemongrove ?