• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Lack of goals at home

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Seems like I chose a good day for my first visit to SJP this season (previous absence down to a variety of factors) – a fabulous and welcome victory and an instant 66% increase in total goals scored.

A really bright first half was followed by a more typical second half – defensive substitutions, their keeper barely tested and more often than not a reluctance to break quickly when given the opportunity.

But on the plus side we played the right way round. It was one of those winter afternoons when standing on the bank should have been a near magical experience – a confident and full strength team attacking our end, a crescendo of noise building throughout the half, the light fading to total darkness as the tempo, chances and goals were racked up….

Alas this was not the case for one reason above all others. That feckin, feckin drum. The second half began with a dirge that continued for 20 (TWENTY) minutes (thanks to the new scoreboard every minute of this unmitigated tedium could be counted). The drum drowned whatever the song was, but there was some rhythmic clapping being done by about a dozen teenagers who I presume were singing something.

It also severely limited the chances of any other chants or song beings started but, most significantly, it depressed the football. It suddenly became clear why only three goals had been scored at home all season – that twenty minute dirge at the start of the second half coincided with the most uninspiring and ineffective football played that afternoon.

I love Exeter City. I love lower league football. I love standing on terraces which have an organic life of their own – sometimes quiet, and reflective and chatty, sometimes angry and frustrated, at others raucous and jubilant. A constant ebb and flow of emotions, banter and entertainment. Other grounds generate this atmosphere and we did once, some days more effectively than others (as is the nature of the beast), but now we seem to have given all this up in exchange for a monoculture of ceaseless and tedious drumming. Twenty teenagers are having a good time, and good luck to them, but at what cost?

I realise this is a minority view but thought it worth an airing…..

chunkymorrinmunter

Seems like I chose a good day for my first visit to SJP this season (previous absence down to a variety of factors) – a fabulous and welcome victory and an instant 66% increase in total goals scored.

A really bright first half was followed by a more typical second half – defensive substitutions, their keeper barely tested and more often than not a reluctance to break quickly when given the opportunity.

But on the plus side we played the right way round. It was one of those winter afternoons when standing on the bank should have been a near magical experience – a confident and full strength team attacking our end, a crescendo of noise building throughout the half, the light fading to total darkness as the tempo, chances and goals were racked up….

Alas this was not the case for one reason above all others. That feckin, feckin drum. The second half began with a dirge that continued for 20 (TWENTY) minutes (thanks to the new scoreboard every minute of this unmitigated tedium could be counted). The drum drowned whatever the song was, but there was some rhythmic clapping being done by about a dozen teenagers who I presume were singing something.

It also severely limited the chances of any other chants or song beings started but, most significantly, it depressed the football. It suddenly became clear why only three goals had been scored at home all season – that twenty minute dirge at the start of the second half coincided with the most uninspiring and ineffective football played that afternoon.

I love Exeter City. I love lower league football. I love standing on terraces which have an organic life of their own – sometimes quiet, and reflective and chatty, sometimes angry and frustrated, at others raucous and jubilant. A constant ebb and flow of emotions, banter and entertainment. Other grounds generate this atmosphere and we did once, some days more effectively than others (as is the nature of the beast), but now we seem to have given all this up in exchange for a monoculture of ceaseless and tedious drumming. Twenty teenagers are having a good time, and good luck to them, but at what cost?

I realise this is a minority view but thought it worth an airing…..
I concur,nicely put.

Banksy

You're not in a minority as far as I'm concerned.I hate drums and that dreadful , monotonous beat at matches.Guess I'm just getting old.

Last edited:

Pete Martin (CTID)

How bleddy utterly Victor Meldrew! 2016 is my half century of following City and I love the drum. I'd hate it not to be there now.

When we had a free Saturday a few weeks ago (FA Cup day) I went to watch Tivvy v Wimborne at Ladysmead. It finished 4-3 to Tivvy and, guess what, Wimborne fans brought their drum.

Embrace the drum!! ;)

flakey pasty

I think the drum is a good idea ........ but I think Arthur's point is a valid one. The slow, rhythmic beat of the drum could well dictate a laborious tempo on the pitch. When we had a samba band attend a game on a special Brazilian day, the upbeat, happy beat of the drums seemed to induce an upbeat, exciting performance on the pitch - a fine win against Wimbledon if I recall correctly.
So I think Arthur may have a point .....

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I think I might have missed something here. How is the drum stopping us scoring at home?

arthur

I think I might have missed something here. How is the drum stopping us scoring at home?
And it's not so much the drum that's the problem (cf Wimborne, Pete) it's the way it's deployed

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I'm someone who is a bit of an old (well, approaching middle age or something) curmudgeon in terms of how an atmosphere is generated, and generally against the very generic nature of the modern "ultra" type supporter style as I prefer spontaneity, but deployed well a drum can and does add colour. All too often it is quite monotonous, however - and this is not a criticism of our drummer(s), by the way, but in general.

I cannot comment on the atmosphere on Saturday, but I would add that I thought the noise throughout at Cheltenham last week was magnificent and really appeared to spur the team on.

flakey pasty

My point was that the tempo of the beat might well affect the tempo at which the game is played.
A more pacy approach to our attacking play could bring more goals.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
What absolute rubbish :D

In general we don't work the opposition keeper enough. On Saturday we did miss some good chances but it was a more typical away type performance rather than loads of possession forcing the away team back and building pressure and additional noise. At the end of the day we won so if we can repeat it then the tactics are justified, although had they taken a second half chance we wouldn't have been in danger of slipping to another loss.

We very regularly if we are ahead or even drawing drop deeper and deeper as home games progress. We are capable of scoring, we just need to either be more adventurous or if we carry on as we are defend well and make sure we are clinical in the attacking third. It is a possitive obviously that we have only conceded once in four games, that will always give you a good chance.