• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Kabongo Tshimanga

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Any player who will only sign if he is guaranteed first team football willy nilly is better off not being signed. Not what we need, we need people who want to prove themselves in our team, not one's that want the team built around them! Best left alone I say.
Yep. We need people to say they know we have a good team but that they'll fight for a place.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yep. We need people to say they know we have a good team but that they'll fight for a place.
To be fair to the guy... has anybody actually got a quote where he's actually said this? Or anything like this? Or even mentioned Exeter? Lets not give the guy a character assassination on rumours about what he might think through a chain of chinese whispers.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm relaxed about this. Unless Matt plans to change to 4-4-2 (no evidence I've read) there is no regular spot for a second target-man type striker, particularly one who wants some kind of guarantee on being a first choice.

There is of course a risk that the day after the transfer deadline closes Bowman gets a long term injury, but like most L2 teams we will have to suck that up. I'd expect if he does well in training and PSFs Ben Seymour can be our man off the bench, and Randell Williams can also play further forward as can Lee Martin and maybe even Nicky Law. Or maybe Deano can do a Scot Bennett and become an emergency striker.:D

As always with the current loan rules, injuries are going to be the key. Ideally I'd like us to have two L2+ standard players in every position, but is that realistic? Anyway, IMO we need 2x goalkeepers and a second RB before we worry about strikers.

STURTZ

We saw a marked improvement in the effectiveness of Randall when he switched to a more central role, he was a bit unlucky not to get on the score sheet more during that period. I'm hoping he will have beefed up a bit over the summer and can become the strike partner we all want.

andrew p long

Not sure why ever they'd expect even £50k for him! Released by the franchise when they knew they were heading for L2 (don't know whether that was before or after Tisdale's appointment), so they clearly didn't think he was good enough for league two. Then spent a season at a sixth tier club where he's done well (like Jamie Reid). He's still a massive punt for any league club, so don't know why a tribunal would value him anywhere near £50K (wasn't that what we got for Dunne despite three seasons in L1?)
I agree. According to Wiki Dunne’s fee was set at an initial 75k plus add ons including appearances.

But it is not uncommon for clubs to want chunky fees for players who had arrived on a free,having been released by their previous club. Apparently one club;) want a six figure fee for a player who joined on a free having been released two years ago, despite only scoring twice in two seasons as an attacking midfielder and having been out injured for most of the second half of last season. Wonder how that will pan out!

IndoMike

I'm relaxed about this. Unless Matt plans to change to 4-4-2 (no evidence I've read) there is no regular spot for a second target-man type striker, particularly one who wants some kind of guarantee on being a first choice.

There is of course a risk that the day after the transfer deadline closes Bowman gets a long term injury, but like most L2 teams we will have to suck that up. I'd expect if he does well in training and PSFs Ben Seymour can be our man off the bench, and Randell Williams can also play further forward as can Lee Martin and maybe even Nicky Law. Or maybe Deano can do a Scot Bennett and become an emergency striker.:D

As always with the current loan rules, injuries are going to be the key. Ideally I'd like us to have two L2+ standard players in every position, but is that realistic? Anyway, IMO we need 2x goalkeepers and a second RB before we worry about strikers.
Nah. You're wrong there. Williams is really a winger not a makeshift striker and Seymour is still very young and unproven. If Bowman gets injured or red-carded we would have no striker at all. It's clear from the stats last year that we need that striker. Of course we need 2 keepers too and an RB would be nice

Red Devon

Nah. You're wrong there. Williams is really a winger not a makeshift striker and Seymour is still very young and unproven. If Bowman gets injured or red-carded we would have no striker at all. It's clear from the stats last year that we need that striker. Of course we need 2 keepers too and an RB would be nice
Agree also we’d have little options from the bench to change things late on, Tisdale got it bang on when we had four experienced strikers Nards, Logan, Curo etc a very successful tactic that worked so well for us...I would want another permanent striker plus a loanee along the lines of Abrahams last season we would then be able to blood Seymour without putting too much pressure on him to start banging in the goals immediately!

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Depth to the squad is key. We always lose a couple of key players to injury and we cannot afford to have limited backup in key areas. Definitely need a striker and a right back, plus the obvious two ‘keepers. If Brown doesn’t sign a new deal I’d argue we could do with a young loan CB unless Hartridge is ready.

Temporarily Exiled

I would want another permanent striker plus a loanee along the lines of Abrahams last season we would then be able to blood Seymour without putting too much pressure on him to start banging in the goals immediately!
If you're a fan, Abrahams was himself released at the end of the season by Norwich.

Depth to the squad is key. We always lose a couple of key players to injury and we cannot afford to have limited backup in key areas. Definitely need a striker and a right back, plus the obvious two ‘keepers. If Brown doesn’t sign a new deal I’d argue we could do with a young loan CB unless Hartridge is ready.
Aaron Martin, Moxey, Parkes and Sweeney are all experienced options at CB. Cover at RB would allow Sweeney to fill in more often, so I'd say a new RB helps plug both gaps. Not sure whether another CB would be justifiable when we have solid youth prospects that can play there.

Last edited:

Red Devon

If you're a fan, Abrahams was himself released at the end of the season by Norwich.

Aaron Martin, Moxey, Parkes and Sweeney are all experienced options at CB. Cover at RB would allow Sweeney to fill in more often, so I'd say a new RB helps plug both gaps. Not sure whether another CB would be justifiable when we have solid youth prospects that can play there.
Nah successful teams are built on strong centre back pairings not with players filling in.

Last edited: