• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jon Hill - New First Team Coach

Cowshed Grecian

Yes, I thought that after several years of the same coaching team that some fresh ideas/personnel would help avoid it becoming a bit stale/repetitive.

No danger of that now we've lost MT,WC,Dan Green,Connor Derbridge and are about to lose Scott Brown and Jon Hill.
We may well get an even better coaching team and set up 👍

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
No doubt the board were told first, now the rest of us have been told.
Has there bin a club statement on Jon Hill's departure if so I haven't seen it ?

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Has there bin a club statement on Jon Hill's departure if so I haven't seen it ?
Rotherham have announced it. Apparently we got some compensation.

ExmouthMart

Rotherham have announced it. Apparently we got some compensation.
ROTHERHAM United's new first-team coach will start work at the club's Roundwood training complex tomorrow.

The Millers have reached agreement with Exeter City for Jonathan Hill to join the staff of manager Matt Taylor.

The two men had worked together at the League One Grecians before Taylor left St James Park to come to AESSEAL New York Stadium with number two Wayne Carlisle earlier this month.

The clubs had been in been in negotiations over a compensation payment for Exeter for the services of the well-travelled and well-respected 52-year-old.

Taylor confirmed yesterday after Rotherham's Championship clash with Hull City: "He's up here tomorrow and in on Monday."

Hill was in the dugout for the Grecians for the final time yesterday as they won 2-1 at home to Fleetwood Town.

"We've tried to be as respectful to Exeter as we possibly can be," Taylor said. "Hence why he's done the game with them today. He'll be with us first thing on Monday morning."

The new boss also wants to appoint a goalkeeper coach but there has been less urgency in that search as former Millers shot-stopper Billy Mercer - who has worked at Burnley in the Premier League - is helping out in that area on a temporary basis.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
ROTHERHAM United's new first-team coach will start work at the club's Roundwood training complex tomorrow.

The Millers have reached agreement with Exeter City for Jonathan Hill to join the staff of manager Matt Taylor.

The two men had worked together at the League One Grecians before Taylor left St James Park to come to AESSEAL New York Stadium with number two Wayne Carlisle earlier this month.

The clubs had been in been in negotiations over a compensation payment for Exeter for the services of the well-travelled and well-respected 52-year-old.

Taylor confirmed yesterday after Rotherham's Championship clash with Hull City: "He's up here tomorrow and in on Monday."

Hill was in the dugout for the Grecians for the final time yesterday as they won 2-1 at home to Fleetwood Town.

"We've tried to be as respectful to Exeter as we possibly can be," Taylor said. "Hence why he's done the game with them today. He'll be with us first thing on Monday morning."

The new boss also wants to appoint a goalkeeper coach but there has been less urgency in that search as former Millers shot-stopper Billy Mercer - who has worked at Burnley in the Premier League - is helping out in that area on a temporary basis.
Respectful to Exeter my ass - MT you have gone down in my estimation.

ExmouthMart

If he doesn’t want to be here, better off going and they paid compensation. Obviously undisclosed……..

Rosencrantz

I expect that we will be appointing new coaching staff imminently of Gary Caldwell's choosing and if they are in the employ of another club we will be equally respectful of that club. It's how football works. Jonathan Hill could have gone when Matt went and left Kev and us another man down. He didn't and Rotherham/Matt didn't push it.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I expect that we will be appointing new coaching staff imminently of Gary Caldwell's choosing and if they are in the employ of another club we will be equally respectful of that club. It's how football works. Jonathan Hill could have gone when Matt went and left Kev and us another man down. He didn't and Rotherham/Matt didn't push it.
You can gloss over it all you like Rosey but it always seems disrespectful when a manager leaves and decides to take all the staff with him. Scott Brown's next so he just as well fark off this week as well, instead of slipping away like a little snake in January.

Rosencrantz

You can gloss over it all you like Rosey but it always seems disrespectful when a manager leaves and decides to take all the staff with him. Scott Brown's next so he just as well fark off this week as well, instead of slipping away like a little snake in January.
Seems disrespectful to supporters maybe but makes absolute sense for Managers and clubs. Manager's want staff they trust and clubs want to give their new manager all the support they need. It also often works both ways as we now see a lot of clubs sacking the entire first team coaching staff as well as the manager (Villa being the latest).

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Seems disrespectful to supporters maybe but makes absolute sense for Managers and clubs. Manager's want staff they trust and clubs want to give their new manager all the support they need. It also often works both ways as we now see a lot of clubs sacking the entire first team coaching staff as well as the manager (Villa being the latest).
I understand the reasons and I'd probably do the same if I was a manager, it still stinks though. I'll really start to dislike him if he comes back for Diabate and a couple of our best academy products in January.