• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

John Lobbett

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Now that was an atmosphere Pete, I remember being in the cowshed and you could say it was a bit crowded. If my memory serves me correctly didn't Luton score while John Lobbett was down injured after taking a bang to the head? I have to say Alan Jones was one of my favourite goalkeepers of all time. I can remembr one game when City were entrenched in the opponenents half and Jonesy was leaning against the post talking to fans on the bank when one of our opponents decided to shoot from the half way line, result ............
I think Alan Jones like Nelson Stiffle went off to play for Bankstown in Australia, though I might be mistaken.
I played with Alan a couple of times but remember his wife a lot better as she worked with me in Devon County Council Treasurers Department at that time.

Mike Blackstone

John told me that he gave up playing after he had joined Barnstaple Town due to his work commitments. He was actually given a free transfer the year before he left City, the directors then changing their minds and they signed him for a further 12 months.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Whilst holidaying at HMP Exeter i the 70`s ,one of the prison officers was an old boy called Bill Lobbet,he was a little bit eccentric and often chatted to us about ECFC and fancied himself as a bit of a goalkeeper too,nice bloke though,any relation par chance ??

John would be in his 70's now, so I imagine that was his father. Lobbett is a very unusual name, and he was a St Thomas boy, having as I recall, gone to John Stocker School.

wiveygrecian

Nearly 4 years after Mikes original thread, I thought I would comment! Doing my postal round in Wiveliscombe (near Taunton) today I got talking to a lady about universities because my daughter is going in september. I told her my daughter was going to Exeter Uni and she said it was a very good Uni and she used to live in Exeter. I told her I go to Exeter for the football every couple of weeks and she said, my dad was a goalkeeper for Exeter in the 50's and 60's, called John Lobbett! I had not heard of him, and I wasn't even born but I can see some of you remember him. Small world!! I'm going to see if he's mentioned in any City books and lend her them.

fred binneys head

How did the opposition used to score against him?

andrew p long

How did the opposition used to score against him?
Mainly with low shots into the corner I think;

jgay-64

I remember the John Lobbett/Gordon Dale era, oh! those teenage years!!!
I think City paid the then princely sum of £11,000 for Dale - what a player, but in those days we actually played with wingers!
Those were the days

Exehausted

£11,000 would be a princely sum for us to spend now!

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
As Dale was our "danger man", it was considered to be a premeditated foul. The SJP crowd has rarely, if ever, been so enraged.
Straight from kick off......I was there and will never forget it. Bingham was not even spoken to. The worst case of GBH on a football field I have ever seen.

berniesworld

John would be in his 70's now, so I imagine that was his father. Lobbett is a very unusual name, and he was a St Thomas boy, having as I recall, gone to John Stocker School.
John Lobbett is my second cousin and my late fathers cousin. And yes Bill was his Dad