• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jayden Stockley

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I agree with the "if it's not broken, why fix it?". It seems to me that our system revolves solely around getting the ball to Stockley, whereas at the beginning of the season Holmes, Mac and Reid were all outlets. Not Stockley's fault, I believe. We are very one-dimensional at the moment.

Last edited:

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think my point is really if it ain't broke don't fix it!!! We were flying before he was introduced I don't like his style of footballer. I did say "most" goals have been in cup games and he defo little in the way of shots, he wins headers but they for now where "most" of the time,I have also in the past said it might be the fact that's all he is told to do as the mid field have no idea how to play a passing game so they are bypassed which then highlights JS's lack of ability, we need and player to work with him as with RR and LMc but it seems no one came play with him as he has no direction.
Indeed you did say most goals have been in the cup, but that’s incorrect isn’t it.

I do understand the point re if it’s not broken, don’t fix it but we can’t really blame Stockley for that. It’s up to Tisdale to build the correct team around him. Im keeping my fingers crossed this will be addressed this month.

Last edited:

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
You can't blame Stockley for our dip in form... firstly, we were never going to keep it up all season, secondly, Stockley came in as Reuben lost form, not the other way round, thirdly, the loss of our best three centre backs has been a bigger factor- not only are we leakier at the back, but we've been playing a more defensive midfield to compliment, so have had less going forward. Need those guys back, or a temporary loan fix alongside a striker to compensate Stockley in my opinion.

Last edited:

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
You can't blame Stockley for our dip in form... firstly, we were never going to keep it up all season, secondly, Stockley came in as Reuben lost form, not the other way round, thirdly, the loss of our best three centre backs has been a bigger factor- not only are we leakier at the back, but we've been playing a more defensive midfield to compliment, so have had less going forward. Need those guys back, or a temporary loan fix alongside a striker to compensate Stockley in my opinion.
Don't think we can say Reid lost his form when he was either on the bench or playing a different role, but I do agree that the loss of our centre backs has complicated things not only for the defense but for the midfield, too. Good point that one, Edwin.

scottus86

I'd like to see Matt Jay given a 3 or 4 game run partnering Stockley.The last few times he has played, he's been very unluck and has had some good chances, once he's taken one, he'll take more. I also think he's the type of player Stockley needs around him and it could turn out to be a good partnership.

Red Bill

Stockley is absolutely delivering and doing exactly what I expect a player of his type to do, i.e. sticking the ball in the net, anything that's changed is not his fault, he's doing his job and doing it well. However as others have pointed out there are negatives from his signing. Whilst the turn around in home form has been nothing short of spectacular and based on that criterion alone is a huge success, the quality of our play and entertainment value have plummeted. Now I know that for many people the only thing that counts is winning, for me personally however, football is an entertainment industry and whilst I'm always over the moon when we win, I do like to be entertained for money and a few of the games I've watched recently have been 90 minutes of my life lost. We've gone from looking like a hot tip for automatic promotion to a team that looks just as likely to finish lower mid table. So the negatives are that our tactics since Stockley arrived seem to be totally based around lumping the ball up to him. making us very one dimensional and predictable which is not good to watch. We've lost Reid who I think was much better all round player, could hold the ball up and was scoring goals. And the introduction of hopeful hoof ball somewhere up where Stockley is which frequently comes to nothing and often result in us losing the ball.

I personally feel that part of the problem is that I believe Tisdale sees Stockley as a replacement for Wheeler, hence the long balls aimed at Stockley's head or over the top for him to run on to. The problem with this if I'm right, is that he doesn't have any of Wheelers qualities. He has no pace whatsoever, isn't someone who can take on and beat another player and his arial ability is nothing more than you'd expect form someone of his height. I'm really surprised when I hear people talking about "all his flick ons" (I assume they mean via his head), when Wheeler, who I must admit had ability second to none in the air, won a header, it was deliberately and successfully directed somewhere useful into the path of another attacker, whereas Stockley seems to win them largely because he's tall, and the result is more the ball bouncing off his head any sometimes falling kindly for a team mate. It also seems incredibly hard to find him an effective partner.

As I said at the beginning, I can't fault him, he's doing his job well and I understand the pressure the manager is under to play him given he's broken a club record to bring him here. I also don't blame Tisdale for signing him, he did well when on loan and I was delighted when I heard he'd signed, but I don't think his signing has done anything for the team nor the entertainment value for fans.

Red Bill

A few points here. First, why couldn't we keep our early season form going all season, we've got the best squad and the most strength in depth we've had for years and isn't that what promotion teams do? Second, its nonsense to say Stockley came in when Rueben lost form, Stockley signed at the end of August, in the previous league game Reid scored twice! And third, "out best three centre backs", sorry but Troy AH is a much better player than Croll even if he is a bit ring rusty for barely playing in the last 5 years.

Last edited:

Well-known Exeweb poster
Don't think you're the only person saying it but it's the system that's screwing home. Like that poor b***** Rondon who spends the game running around looking for scraps. If you play one up, you need goalscoring midfielders, which we don't have. Feel sorry for him.
scoring midfielders help, but with one up front you need that one to be able to get hold of the ball use the ball intelligently and then bring those midfielders/wide men into play r r is better at it than stockley. stockley is gonna put himself about giving defenders a hard time and consequently score a few however he ain't really 'a thinking man's' c/f atm i've noticed with c/f 's their game seems to develop/change with time and maybe after a few set backs. maybe like the loss of a yard of pace, an injury...who knows but change and adapt they do..

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd like to see Matt Jay given a 3 or 4 game run partnering Stockley.The last few times he has played, he's been very unluck and has had some good chances, once he's taken one, he'll take more. I also think he's the type of player Stockley needs around him and it could turn out to be a good partnership.
I wasn't a Jay fan but IMO this season he's stepped up a level and deserves a decent chance, perhaps when the pich's improved it'll be worth giving him a go in a pair with stockley.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
A few points here. First, why couldn't we keep our early season form going all season, we've got the best squad and the most strength in depth we've had for years and isn't that what promotion teams do? Second, its nonsense to say Stockley came in when Rueben lost form, Stockley signed at the end of August, in the previous league game Reid scored twice! And third, "out best three centre backs", sorry but Troy AH is a much better player than Croll even if he is a bit ring rusty for barely playing in the last 5 years.
Stockley didn't go straight in the team when he signed though... had to wait for an opportunity. Reid had a decent run of games after Stockley arrived. We had something like 7 wins out of 8 at one point. We're still doing well... but we're not good enough to run away with the league. Disagree with you on croll vs TAH. troys very short on pace and has too many accidents... close call though, troy is more dominant. Also maybe depends who they're partnered with. But agree to disagree on that one.