• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jack Sparkes

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Was talking to mates about Sparkes yesterday before the game.

Problem is, he can only play left back, left wing back or left midfield. He's not great defensively and he hasn't got the pace to play higher up.

As Max said previously, Caldwell has made his mind up so if I was him I'd have my agent speaking to clubs already.

Exehausted

Was talking to mates about Sparkes yesterday before the game.

Problem is, he can only play left back, left wing back or left midfield. He's not great defensively and he hasn't got the pace to play higher up.

As Max said previously, Caldwell has made his mind up so if I was him I'd have my agent speaking to clubs already.
I'm sure he has had his agent working hard since the Charlton debacle!

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't know if it's my aged brain, but I have this memory of Jack, in his early days in the academy, being a striker and I was slightly surprised when he first emerged into the first team as a fundamentally defensive player. Does anyone else remember that, or is it just me?

grecIAN Harris

I don't know if it's my aged brain, but I have this memory of Jack, in his early days in the academy, being a striker and I was slightly surprised when he first emerged into the first team as a fundamentally defensive player. Does anyone else remember that, or is it just me?
Have a read of Rosie's post Pete. You might find you're on the same page.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pete, you are on the money. Jack was quite prolific in his youth days scoring goals for fun. He was touted to premiership clubs with trials at both Man Utd and Chelsea iirc alongside Ethan? However, scoring goals for fun at youth level is a completely different matter to doing so in the football league. Clearly someone at the club didn't see Jack as having the attributes of a striker hence why he was adapted to a different role when he became a pro - same journey as Deano who was a striker for much of his youth team days before adapting to become a left back.

scottus86

I remember on his debut against Swindon I think, he cut in from the right and smashed the post.

Oldsmobile-88

I remember on his debut against Swindon I think, he cut in from the right and smashed the post.
He had a great game.It was at the start of the 2017 season. True to form Tisdale dropped him from sight after that.

andrew p long

He had a great game.It was at the start of the 2017 season. True to form Tisdale dropped him from sight after that.
though in fairness to Tisdale, Jack was only 16 when Tis gave him his debut. And under a different manager (MT) the following season Jack didn't play a single minute of league football.

Oldsmobile-88

though in fairness to Tisdale, Jack was only 16 when Tis gave him his debut. And under a different manager (MT) the following season Jack didn't play a single minute of league football.
It was such a shame. The lad was brimming with confidence at a tough place to go.. To disappear off the radar completely seemed odd.

geoffwp

I wonder how many other promising young players end up being f****d up by managers and other coaches