• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

I've heard some nonsense in my time, but this takes the biscuit...

Tim Long

it's almost impossible in this modern age to avoid finding out what the scores are until late at night. If you hadn't heard the result of the Norwich versus Liverpool game at the ground, you'd almost certainly have stumbled across it elsewhere.
And yet, Damien, you are saying you need them to be announced at the ground. What is your argument: that without the scores being announced you will not know them or that no-one can avoid knowing the score even if it is not announced ?

Tim Long

Oh, and where's the biscuit that was promised in the thread title ?

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Duh, it's been taken. Can't you read?

Mark Tyler

Can't see much objection to the league two scores and results being given out, so I will happily do those from the next match. Keep thoughts coming on Premier league

Tim Long

Duh, it's been taken. Can't you read?
Only whilst mouthing the words...

Antony Moxey

Mark, do you read out anything instead, or does the time it takes to read them out impinge on the time available to read other announcements out? If it makes no difference I don't see what harm's done reading any of the scores out regardless of which division.

Grecian Max

With smartphones, this is a throw back that doesn't need to exist. Personally don't care either way.

Do miss those relegation threatened days where you'd regularly see full size radios being pinned to an ear and false rumours of goals though.

LOG

I have a fading memory of Ian Huxham on the pitch after the last game a season and him announcing an incorrect score from elsewhere which made everyone think we'd got into the play offs. Is that right or have i imagined it?

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

I have a fading memory of Ian Huxham on the pitch after the last game a season and him announcing an incorrect score from elsewhere which made everyone think we'd got into the play offs. Is that right or have i imagined it?
Nope, you're bang on. I was stood by him when he announced on the pitch that Aldershot had lost and thus we were in the play-offs - it might well have been our first season in the Conference. Then, after frantic arm waving between the pitch and directors' box, he then had to announce that they hadn't lost after all and there were no play-offs for us. Talk about p*ssing all over your chips.

Grecian Max

Yeah I celebrated that. Gutted.