• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

I've gone off David James..

Exe on Valdez

James was the best player on the pitch in an england shirt!

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
David James was probably the best british all round keeper that we had available, but I dont think we were exactly spoilt for choice were we?
erm - it was England that were playing today - Britain don't have a team entered in the World Cup.

All I can say is if you're not interested in any of my threads, could you kindly not f*ck em' up for the people that are!
They're not your threads - they're threads you start. It's an internet forum - anyone can say anything they want - whoever starts the thread. If you can't deal with that, maybe you should stop starting new threads.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
erm - it was England that were playing today - Britain don't have a team entered in the World Cup!

They're not your threads - they're threads you start. It's an internet forum - anyone can say anything they want - whoever starts the thread. If you can't deal with that, maybe you should stop starting new threads.

Very good jambo. Nicely constructed, with a couple of quality quotes thrown in. I bet that took you all of an hour to make sure of accuracy didnt it? I wouldnt pat yourself on the back to hard yet though. You'll get one or two posts added of the 'nice one jambo' variety, but apart from all that, I think its a sad day when a character like you tells a fellow exewebber to reconsider wether after 10years he might want to reconsider posting anymore, which is what you've effectively done.

You've suceeded really well in totally derailing the thread, with no reference whatsover to the subject matter. Nice Job! And dont PM me with any kind of an apology this time. I'll delete it rather than read it.

Exeter Clown

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNN

Your boring peteusa

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
And dont PM me with any kind of an apology this time.
What are you blethering on about now?

LOG

And dont PM me with any kind of an apology this time. I'll delete it rather than read it.
You won't know whether it's an apology until you read it.

Here to help.

Antony Moxey

Be nice people or poor old Pete will have another of his threads locked.

As for what keepers do and don't do, I genuinely think there isn't a keeper playing anywhere in the world either now or in the last 20 years that matches Pete's idea of what a good keeper should be capable of. And that's not a pop either, but what I believe.

I also believe that every keeper from the 50s and 60s would wipe the floor with anyone playing today. ;)

PeteUSA

Be nice people or poor old Pete will have another of his threads locked.

As for what keepers do and don't do, I genuinely think there isn't a keeper playing anywhere in the world either now or in the last 20 years that matches Pete's idea of what a good keeper should be capable of. And that's not a pop either, but what I believe.

I also believe that every keeper from the 50s and 60s would wipe the floor with anyone playing today. ;)
Totally correct Antony, even to the point where I'm looking at getting one of MY threads locked/deleted. You're right though; in my opinion, modern day British keepers have nowhere near the courage of the Harry Greggs/Bert Trautmanns/Jack Kelsey's of this world. Trautmann in particular played on with a broken neck in the 56 Cup Final against Birmingham City! Could you see a keeper these days going down at a forwards feet, and taking a chance on breaking his neck? I dont think so.

geoffwp

Could you see a keeper these days going down at a forwards feet, and taking a chance on breaking his neck? I dont think so.
Let me see now Pete. Trautman was probably on £1 2s 6d a week while a prem keeper is probably on .... *think of an astronomical figure and multiply it by a large number*. Why would you risk that sort of fortune just to keep a silly ball out of the net?

LOG

Totally correct Antony, even to the point where I'm looking at getting one of MY threads locked/deleted. You're right though; in my opinion, modern day British keepers have nowhere near the courage of the Harry Greggs/Bert Trautmanns/Jack Kelsey's of this world. Trautmann in particular played on with a broken neck in the 56 Cup Final against Birmingham City! Could you see a keeper these days going down at a forwards feet, and taking a chance on breaking his neck? I dont think so.
Does just having courage make you a good keeper?

Football today is a very different game to what it was in the 1950's.

Last edited: