• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is Tagg actually the problem at ECFC?

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
There's currently 379 pages about Tisdale getting the chop on here but Tagg (and the rest of the board for that matter) seems to escape any major criticism.

It seems to me that Tagg and the club board are the ones at fault here not so much Tisdale (of course he has his faults too), after all they're the ones who gave him the perfect contract and Tagg's vanity youth project seems to be majorly detracting from the first team now by deflecting funds away from an already under resourced first team squad.

I can't help but feel that the club needs a big shake up at the top and if necessary a Trust members vote to decide the club direction. Are we first and foremost a professional football league club or are we just a youth development club with no ambition?

The best way I can think to sum it up is that the terrible trio of Tagg, Tisdale and Perryman just seem too comfortable and complacent to actually care about the primary function of a football club which is to win matches.

Terryhall

I have been trying to get time all year to put together a proposal to the Trust Board to fundamentally alter the governance of the club to improve transparency and accountability. Essentially that the club should voluntarily adhere to the UK Corporate Governance Code

Drafting the proposal is the easy bit but the part I will likely struggle with is to then present that to the Trust Board and evidence enough support from the Trust membership for this to be adopted and followed through. I can imagine that even if the Trust Board is in complete agreement, the Club Board may be more resistant to the change. Also I still need to think about any "unintended impact" - ultimately the idea would be to make things better not worse, particulary on the pitch.

That said if there are enough Trust members willing to put their names to paper and confirm that they would support this then I'd be very happy to do the work to build a solid proposal.

To be clear this would not be an anti-Tagg, anti-Perryman, or anti-Tisdale proposal - it would be a proposal to put in place a best practice corporate governance model for oversight and accountability of how the club is run.

Not sure of the best way for Trust members to register their support for this - of course posts here, PMs or e-mails through Exeweb are fine for me, but if any Trustees would like to get in touch then please also PM me and maybe we can talk through my idea and come up with something that we think might work.

Number13

Its why on another thread I asked how I get eleceted to the Trust Board. Someone said "stand for election". How? Where? When?

Someone needs to shake a few people about who are too cosy in their jobs

The one word never used at our club is ACCOUNTABILITY

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I have been trying to get time all year to put together a proposal to the Trust Board to fundamentally alter the governance of the club to improve transparency and accountability. Essentially that the club should voluntarily adhere to the UK Corporate Governance Code

Drafting the proposal is the easy bit but the part I will likely struggle with is to then present that to the Trust Board and evidence enough support from the Trust membership for this to be adopted and followed through. I can imagine that even if the Trust Board is in complete agreement, the Club Board may be more resistant to the change. Also I still need to think about any "unintended impact" - ultimately the idea would be to make things better not worse, particulary on the pitch.

That said if there are enough Trust members willing to put their names to paper and confirm that they would support this then I'd be very happy to do the work to build a solid proposal.

To be clear this would not be an anti-Tagg, anti-Perryman, or anti-Tisdale proposal - it would be a proposal to put in place a best practice corporate governance model for oversight and accountability of how the club is run.

Not sure of the best way for Trust members to register their support for this - of course posts here, PMs or e-mails through Exeweb are fine for me, but if any Trustees would like to get in touch then please also PM me and maybe we can talk through my idea and come up with something that we think might work.
Terry. I know you're probably well -meaning with this and you've probably thought hard about it, but IMO you're totally wasting your time with this. Firstly, they're all a bunch of amateurs. Second : they should be applying GCG anyway. If they're not, it just goes to show what you're dealibg with. Third : clearly the BOS is too clueless/ lazy/ complacent/ afraid to take on the BOD. Fourth, this woyld just open up another cgain of time-wasting meetings which as usual would evade the point.
Exeter City needs URGENT treatment, but the Gang of Three has got everything locked up nicely. They can do what they want because they know we have reactionary fans like Lez, Rae and Geoff and a docile, subservient Trust Board. In the end I think City will gradually fade away,

Terryhall

All noted Mike, particularly the fact that this really ought to be the basics and the fact we don't aleady do it tells its own story. But that said I don't feel comfortable to simply sit by and watch and let your last sentence come to pass without having done anything at all to stop it.

I cannot stand for election to the TB as I am outside the UK and realistically would not be able to attend any TB meetings - I can only make the AGM one year in 3 based on recent years. But what I can do is make use of my Trust Membership to do what I can to try to effect the change that I see as being very clearly needed.

Even if I spend ages developing and canvassing support for the proposal and it dies in a chain of neverending meetings, or the club board simply shoot it down in flames - then I'd prefer that to not doing it and then saying afterwards "Oh if only someone had done something...."

Jammers20

I'd happily support something if you put it forward, the fact that Tagg gave Tisdale a stupid rolling contract and there seems a real lack of accountability to the trust board. And trust members.. Who are supposed to own the club is just laughable! Any new clearer directive, that make everyone accoutable from bottom to the top, should be welcomed by everyone who has had enough of our current sham of a club structure and performance!

Last edited:

Terryhall

Its why on another thread I asked how I get eleceted to the Trust Board. Someone said "stand for election". How? Where? When?

As far as I know - How - get one Trust member to support your application (I will if you cannot find anyone local to do so).
Where - at the club AGM if I recall
When - usually Pete Martin posts on here when there is an election coming up and also Trust Members get e-mails and postal voting packs (or at least I know I do).

There was one recently and I think (?) they are every 3 years but I could be wrong about that (it might be more often - but it must be at least every 3 years as that is the period for which a Trustee is appointed). I guess if Trustees stand down (either voluntarily or by reaching the end of their term) then that would also lead to an election for a replacement.

grecian55

Keep your ear to the ground 13 ,there could be a vacancy sooner than you think ;)

IndoMike

All noted Mike, particularly the fact that this really ought to be the basics and the fact we don't aleady do it tells its own story. But that said I don't feel comfortable to simply sit by and watch and let your last sentence come to pass without having done anything at all to stop it.

I cannot stand for election to the TB as I am outside the UK and realistically would not be able to attend any TB meetings - I can only make the AGM one year in 3 based on recent years. But what I can do is make use of my Trust Membership to do what I can to try to effect the change that I see as being very clearly needed.

Even if I spend ages developing and canvassing support for the proposal and it dies in a chain of neverending meetings, or the club board simply shoot it down in flames - then I'd prefer that to not doing it and then saying afterwards "Oh if only someone had done something...."
As i said, at least you are trying something, Terry. But the set-up is that Taggy and BoD are untouchable and unaccountable, because their bosses, the Trust Board, are impotent and in effect servants to the BOD.

IndoMike

It's a kind of Catch 22.