• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is our academy one of the best in country?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Then there's also a sugar-daddy
There is no sugar daddy at ECFC. Never has been, probably never will be.

A rich fool would need to put in at least £1M a year indefinitely (say for at least a decade) for it to make much difference. So the ownership arrangement we have now for all its faults is the only game in town, and I expect it to stay that way.

At least we will come the Autumn have a stadium capable of sustaining under cover any foreseeable attendance level we might aspire to. That's as far as I can look.

Matt Russell

Not disagreeing with you. Just saying that it's either the Trust model we have or one of those elusive beasts.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
We may never have had a "sugar daddy" John....but we did have a couple of "Sugar Uncles"....Uncle Russell and Uncle Lewis who invited us to sit on their fat laps and "wiggle a bit"

Question (for younger readers particularly) …. WHAT HAPPENED NEXT???? :(

(Mind you, there might still be a few fleeing Russian Oligarchs available eager to find a small laundry to cleanse their ill-gotten gains...provided they can get visas that is ;) )

Last edited:

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
(Mind you, there might still be a few fleeing Russian Oligarchs available eager to find a small laundry to cleanse their ill-gotten gains...provided they can get visas that is ;) )
We take MasterCard too...:D

STURTZ

Advancing up the leagues also makes it more difficult to blood young players, which probably accounts for so few premiership clubs bringing on the youth, despite gaining the lions share of the talent.

Be nice to be able to loan players to league 2 clubs instead of the usual Truro, Bideford and Western Super Mare.

Grecian2K

We take MasterCard too...:D
There may be tROUBLES ahead
But, while we're fan-owned
And in with a chance
Let's go to Wembley
And dance

Jazzi

There may be tROUBLES ahead
But, while we're fan-owned
And in with a chance
Let's go to Wembley
And dance
We've just been reminded, on another thread, about the singing blocks. I want to be in THIS block!

Colesman Ballz

I seem to recall that at the last assessment, our academy was rated Cat 2 in many respects. The key areas where we come up short, are in the numbers of staff required, and a covered indoor pitch (of at least half size proportions). Were we to attain Cat 2 status, it would also see an increase in central funding. If their are any errors in my understanding please feel free to correct me.

Pete Martin (CTID)

I seem to recall that at the last assessment, our academy was rated Cat 2 in many respects. The key areas where we come up short, are in the numbers of staff required, and a covered indoor pitch (of at least half size proportions). Were we to attain Cat 2 status, it would also see an increase in central funding. If their are any errors in my understanding please feel free to correct me.
I believe that is essentially correct. I also believe that the increase in funding is substantial but an equally substantial sum has to be put up by the club.

Last edited:

Rog H K

Re: Is our academy on of the best in country?

Isn't it the case, or very nearly so, that we've made more money from the last two transfer windows than the rest of L2 put together? I wonder what Coventry's contribution to that L2 pot was.
(y) Their attendance in the bottom tier of English Football.