• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is it too late for the Trust to regain effective control of the Club?

Hello Boyo, simply because I was not a committed football supporter and was busy working. I went to a game, was drawn in by the enthusiam and saw that the Trust needed a Secretary and I thought I could help.
And I think I did.....but a wider role would suit better.
If a CE is not wanted then perhaps I would stand as as a Trustee as they do a good job for City....but my expertise could be better used right now.
And I am aware that the role would be unpaid.

hern

Havig watched this thread develop with increasing dismay it is ratifying to see that the issue of Chief \Exec has emerged. There is no doubt in my mind that the Trust does indeed need to fill this post, and it would not be unreasonable to consider remuneration. There is a huge need for someone to drive the various programmes and objectives forward whikst others continue to focus on process.
The BOS has always IMHO been too large to make crisp decisions and then execute them. I do suggest however that the CE job description needs broadening, and that a proper HR process is undertaken during recruitment.

For me, the commercial future of the Trust is a major issue and must be broadened beyond deciding whether or not to raise membership fees!

I do hope this issue is taken up with enthusiasm by the BoS

Terry P

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Terry I hope so too but to be honest as much as really would like to see it happen I am not holding my breath. Agree totally with you about the number of trustees and have always held the view that the numbers should have been limited to nine.

rick whitemore

Hello Boyo, simply because I was not a committed football supporter and was busy working. I went to a game, was drawn in by the enthusiam and saw that the Trust needed a Secretary and I thought I could help.
And I think I did.....but a wider role would suit better.
If a CE is not wanted then perhaps I would stand as as a Trustee as they do a good job for City....but my expertise could be better used right now.
And I am aware that the role would be unpaid.

A wider role would suit who better, you or the trust? I think it's a bit early to be promoting yourself as CE for the trust. Sorry but I dont think your the right person for that role.

rick whitemore

Havig watched this thread develop with increasing dismay it is ratifying to see that the issue of Chief \Exec has emerged. There is no doubt in my mind that the Trust does indeed need to fill this post, and it would not be unreasonable to consider remuneration. There is a huge need for someone to drive the various programmes and objectives forward whikst others continue to focus on process.
The BOS has always IMHO been too large to make crisp decisions and then execute them. I do suggest however that the CE job description needs broadening, and that a proper HR process is undertaken during recruitment.

For me, the commercial future of the Trust is a major issue and must be broadened beyond deciding whether or not to raise membership fees!

I do hope this issue is taken up with enthusiasm by the BoS

Terry P

Good post Terry and glad to see you still take an interest, your contributions and commitment were missed greatly after you stepped aside.

M Earl

I have followed this discussion with interest. My view is that, as a fan owned club we need to strive for success but cut our cloth accordingly. I am hugely dissapointed though that the board and BoS talk so much about processes and procedures which basically means that Trust members find it very difficult to get an accurate idea of the financial position of the club and what the board is doing with the revenue generated by the club and the funds put in by the Trustees and what our outgoings are. We fund this club, finacial information and decision making should be open. I can't see any valid argument for it not being.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
We fund this club, financial information and decision making should be open. I can't see any valid argument for it not being.
Well we've got nowhere so far! All thats happened is that there's been a f*cking big row on here over the topic, following which two (or three) respected senior members on exeweb wont post anymore, and Spankys got the bullet from the steering commitee for saying the wrong thing!

Meanwhile, where all the money that Trust members faithfully pay remains a mystery! (I suspect there'll be some sighs of relief) ^o)

I'll say it again - it stinks!!

Bondy

Exeter - views are my own and not representative o
I have followed this discussion with interest. My view is that, as a fan owned club we need to strive for success but cut our cloth accordingly. I am hugely dissapointed though that the board and BoS talk so much about processes and procedures which basically means that Trust members find it very difficult to get an accurate idea of the financial position of the club and what the board is doing with the revenue generated by the club and the funds put in by the Trustees and what our outgoings are. We fund this club, finacial information and decision making should be open. I can't see any valid argument for it not being.
Financial information is indeed discussed but in Part B so it does not appear in the public minutes.

At a recent meeting myself and Bernadette Coates both asked Julian Tagg and Ed Chorlton questions in order to hold them to account over various decisions and this continues to happen as long as the club are at the BoS meetings but also more formally through the joint board and Andy Cole and Roger Conway's position as directors of the football club.

I would also like everyone to know that to my knowledge no elected trust BoS member gets expenses or any monetary or non-monetary benefits from their role. There is a vague right to it in the constitution but if you take unpaid time off work to conduct trust business you do so at your own personal expense.

I also tend to avoid wearing a suit.

As always this is my personal view and is categorically not the view of the Trust or anyone else.

Ian Bond

Poultice

At a recent meeting myself and Bernadette Coates both asked Julian Tagg and Ed Chorlton questions
Any idea if they got any right ?

crocks

Any idea if they got any right ?
Key question Poults....did they have to phone a friend or did they still have a 50:50? :D