• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is it too late for the Trust to regain effective control of the Club?

I have been following this thread and in fact made some of my first contributions to Exeweb.
I think I can best help now by offering my services as Trust Chief Executive.
My name is Jim Enright, ex-boS secretary.
I am retired but have run bigger businesses than City, am presently Chair of the Business Forum Mid Devon (unpaid) (see ##URL REMOVED##) and am a Councillor for Newton St Cyres (unpaid).
During my short time as BoS Secretary I stayed out of the politics but undoubtedly overstepped my role, hence my decision to resign. It is difficult to stand back when it seems obvious that more management and better communication is required.
The Trust does need more focus and the Club requires someone with a business background to ask questions and occasionally offer help.
The recently retired BoS Trustees will know me and if they think I can help then please provide a support network and momentum.
And of course the role may no longer exist. If it does I hope that Martin will let the Trustees know of my offer.

**** Sorry! Web links not allowed for new users ****
This is an effort to combat spam postings. We apologise for any inconvenience.

isca42

No Jim as far as I know it is certainly not too late. You and I and indeed RW know just how frustrating the politics of this scenario can be. You would be a complete breath of fresh air and have my 100% support. Pls PM me.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
One final post from me.

I have a very high regard for Jim Enright, he was indeed a very good BOS secretary, and I see him as the ideal candidate for CEO of the Trust.

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bit of an internecine bum fest getting going here, just one question, if all you top top boys have been involved in the Trust over the years, how come nothing ever got done before ?

I see a CV and I want to know what you did when you had the chance, not what you might do if you get to have another go.

elginCity

am presently Chair of the Business Forum Mid Devon (unpaid) (see ##URL REMOVED##)
Their website is out of date too!

http://www.bfmd.org.uk/executive.php

Good luck, Jim.

You dark horse, you :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Enright

Last edited:

Pete Martin (CTID)

It is interesting that the position of Chief Executive appears to have apparently suddenly re-emerged after a period of quiescence.

On 16th August 2010 I received the following e-mail from the then Trust Secretary, Chris Hewson (apologies that I had originally said Martin Lawrence in an earlier posting):-

Dear Pete

Following my recent email to you regarding your recent application for the position of Exeter City Supporters' Trust Chief Executive Officer, I can confirm that I have spoken with my colleagues on the Trust Board of Society with regard to your application.

You may be aware that the Supporters' Trust is currently in the process of mapping out its vision for the medium to long term future, and is currently devising a strategic plan which we are in the process of going to consultation with our members on. This process is hoped will give the Trust a steer on the direction that we wish to take on a number of issues, including the appointment of further executive officers.

We acknowledge your interest in this position, and are appreciative of you taking the time to engage us on this issue. It is the view of the Board of Society that before we can look towards any such appointment, we must first conclude the process of membership consultation regarding our proposed strategic plan. I am sure you will agree that the development of such a document is vital for the Trust, and furthermore, it is vital that any subsequent structure of the Trust Board of Society (and any executive arm) is in tune with this strategy. Accordingly, we would ask for your patience throughout this process as this will allow the Trust to present a strategy for moving forward.

The Supporters' Trust welcomes any input that you may have towards the development of both the Trust and Exeter City Football Club, and any suggestions or thoughts that you might have are always welcome.

I hope that this outlines where we are at present, and if you have any further queries please feel free to get in touch and we will be happy to assist you further wherever we can.

Regards

Chris H

As far as I am aware, there has never been any communication that the Strategic Plan had either considered the CE's post or made a decision that it should in fact be promoted and advertised (although, of course, the advert for the vacancy has been on the Trust website virtually since Mike Cooper resigned from the position)

*It is also perhaps worth mentioning that I did not actually make an application, as is suggested in the email. I simply requested details of the vacant Chief Executive position at the same time that I requested an application pack for the BoS elections

Last edited:

malcolms

It is interesting that the position of Chief Executive appears to have apparently suddenly re-emerged after a period of quiescence.

On 16th August 2010 I received the following e-mail from the then Trust Secretary, Chris Hewson (apologies that I had originally said Martin Lawrence in an earlier posting):-

Dear Pete

Following my recent email to you regarding your recent application for the position of Exeter City Supporters' Trust Chief Executive Officer, I can confirm that I have spoken with my colleagues on the Trust Board of Society with regard to your application.

You may be aware that the Supporters' Trust is currently in the process of mapping out its vision for the medium to long term future, and is currently devising a strategic plan which we are in the process of going to consultation with our members on. This process is hoped will give the Trust a steer on the direction that we wish to take on a number of issues, including the appointment of further executive officers.

We acknowledge your interest in this position, and are appreciative of you taking the time to engage us on this issue. It is the view of the Board of Society that before we can look towards any such appointment, we must first conclude the process of membership consultation regarding our proposed strategic plan. I am sure you will agree that the development of such a document is vital for the Trust, and furthermore, it is vital that any subsequent structure of the Trust Board of Society (and any executive arm) is in tune with this strategy. Accordingly, we would ask for your patience throughout this process as this will allow the Trust to present a strategy for moving forward.

The Supporters' Trust welcomes any input that you may have towards the development of both the Trust and Exeter City Football Club, and any suggestions or thoughts that you might have are always welcome.

I hope that this outlines where we are at present, and if you have any further queries please feel free to get in touch and we will be happy to assist you further wherever we can.

Regards

Chris H

As far as I am aware, there has never been any communication that the Strategic Plan had either considered the CE's post or made a decision that it should in fact be promoted and advertised (although, of course, the advert for the vacancy has been on the Trust website virtually since Mike Cooper resigned from the position)

*It is also perhaps worth mentioning that I did not actually make an application, as is suggested in the email. I simply requested details of the vacant Chief Executive position at the same time that I requested an application pack for the BoS elections

If you want a perfect example of the b*ll*ckspeak that officers of the Trust are past masters at then this is it. No wonder there is a lack of transparent communication..

Many thanks for the votes of support. Whether there is a vacancy is not presently known but Pete would be good too if you want to pursue the role.
I do not know ******** but I see you you care a lot from your posts.
I was Trust Sec for only 10 months and resigned through frustration. I am not one of the old school but as a successful businessman, manager (not football) and motivator I am able to spot inefficiency and do something about it.
The BoS is manned by people who care and are willing to do whatever they can to benefit City. They do question and they do give their time and expertise without any reward. They deserve thanks.
I will bring strong management, no political involvement but strong communication.
I have no agenda other than seeing the Trust and the Club being efficient, effective and successful.
And I have now officially applied for the post.

Boyo

Interesting developments. Jim, can I ask why you have never stood for election for tHe BOS?

I'd be interested to know what Trust members think of having a salaried CEO of the Trust.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Many thanks for the votes of support. Whether there is a vacancy is not presently known but Pete would be good too if you want to pursue the role.
Thanks Jim. For what it's worth you would certainly have my support as well. I personally have no interest in it now and would not apply, even if it is confirmed as available.