• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is it feasible

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
A reminder. This isn't a thread about Covid. If yu want to discuss Covid then please use one of the 100 other threads on this subject.

Boyo

A reminder. This isn't a thread about Covid. If yu want to discuss Covid then please use one of the 100 other threads on this subject.
Hants - apologies if you are referring to my post. However, the OP of the thread is about fans returning to stadiums in the context of Covid and what measures would potentially be necessary to enable that to happen. I think it's a good thread and it's interesting to share thoughts and opinions. Clearly, to understand the limitations and consequences of crowds in stadiums the discussion will repeatedly reference Covid as that's the cause of the issues.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Hants - apologies if you are referring to my post. However, the OP of the thread is about fans returning to stadiums in the context of Covid and what measures would potentially be necessary to enable that to happen. I think it's a good thread and it's interesting to share thoughts and opinions. Clearly, to understand the limitations and consequences of crowds in stadiums the discussion will repeatedly reference Covid as that's the cause of the issues.
I just don't want it to swap to being a Political discussion about the UK's response to Covid, rather than a discussion about getting crowds back in to St James Park.

tonykellowfan

We have had huge demonstrations in London for BLM with thousands of people in close proximity, without any affect on the COVID rate.

People sitting socially distanced at football matches will in all probability also have very little affect.

Quite clearly, ECFC might keep the big bank closed, for obvious reasons.

Legohead

Banned
We have had huge demonstrations in London for BLM with thousands of people in close proximity, without any affect on the COVID rate.

People sitting socially distanced at football matches will in all probability also have very little affect.

Quite clearly, ECFC might keep the big bank closed, for obvious reasons.
If the BB remains closed and with social distancing in seats then this would reduce the numbers of fans who were actually allowed in to paltry numbers. Whilst it's better than nothing would it be worth it if stewards have to be paid and catering facilities opened etc for a very small number of fans?

I just can't see the point of it and the club and clubs like ours with small grounds need all fans to be back to make it viable surely?

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
No that's the opinion of most scientists. The risk in COVID is to older people and those with health conditions.

Lots of people will remain cautious and there is nothing wrong with that.

As we have seen with pub openings the huge numbers some expected are not there.

On the same basis sensible social distancing at football games will allow those fans who want to come back to be able to do so.
I'm sorry. This is dangerously ignorant nonsense, for two reasons.

First, the statistical probability of people dying from Covid-19 does increase the older they are, or if they have "underlying" conditions. But this does not mean that "healthy" people under 50 cannot die from this virus. In fact, between 5-10% of the people who have died from Covid-19 were under 50. In the UK, that means that around 5000 or more "healthy" people who were under 50 have died in the last four months, who would otherwise still be alive.

Second, & far more importantly, even if "healthy" under 50s may be significantly less likely to suffer severe, or fatal, consequences from Covid-19, that has no bearing whatsoever on their ability to transmit the virus if they become infected.

The public health benefit of face masks is not primarily for the wearer, but for everyone else with whom they may come in contact.

tonykellowfan

You are just making stuff up I'm afraid. The under 50s who have died from covid is less than 2% of the total.

If you are under 50 you are more likely to die in a car accident. I assume you have stopped driving too?

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Anyway...

The announcement today about the reopening of gyms, leisure centres, outdoor theatres and recreational running groups must signal a return of crowds to football? Even bloody Glyndebourne is going ahead. September must be on the cards..

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Anyway...

The announcement today about the reopening of gyms, leisure centres, outdoor theatres and recreational running groups must signal a return of crowds to football? Even bloody Glyndebourne is going ahead. September must be on the cards..
Indeed..I reckon mid September-12th or 19th start for the new season.

Legohead

Banned
Indeed..I reckon mid September-12th or 19th start for the new season.
With or without crowds Olds?