• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Interview with academy coach Kevin Nicholson

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
He does his fair share of talking about continuity. Makes me think he has submitted his application form already.
If he hasn't hope he does

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
"Speaks well" isn't really enough for me. Would be the wrong choice.

Grecianpasty

I get the impression that he doesn't see himself as being the next manager. With MT his goal was to be the next Exeter City manager. Whereas Nicholson seems happy given the opportunity to be caretaker.

I would much rather he continue the great job he has been doing with the academy, and we look for a new management team.

STURTZ

The beauty of Nicholsons "temporary appointment" is that we get to see what we can expect from him before we buy into it. If he can prove himself to be a good option then by all means give him the job. Not many teams looking for a new manager get this opportunity. Important that we get behind him.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I still feel that it is better to have someone "with previous Grecian blood" fully aware of the club's fan owned ethos and the opportunities / constraints involved so that they are up to speed from day 1.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
If he hasn't hope he does
If he applies but doesn't get the job then it may be a bit of a kick in the teeth to go back to managing the under 18s.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
"Speaks well" isn't really enough for me. Would be the wrong choice.
I agree that being articulate is obviously not enough on its own but what makes you think he'd be the wrong choice?

I dont know enough about him so I'll reserve judgement. He lacks experience but then so did MT.

Reactions: Egg

Grecian Max

The beauty of Nicholsons "temporary appointment" is that we get to see what we can expect from him before we buy into it. If he can prove himself to be a good option then by all means give him the job. Not many teams looking for a new manager get this opportunity. Important that we get behind him.
He's not going to be able to prove himself after 2/3 games ffs, so many clubs make this same mistake.

Grecian Max

I agree that being articulate is obviously not enough on its own but what makes you think he'd be the wrong choice?

I dont know enough about him so I'll reserve judgement. He lacks experience but then so did MT.
Ask yourself this - in Hakwer's recent interview he said that Matt Taylor was so far ahead as the leading candidate, that it was embarrassing. Makes sense, seeing as we pretty much immediately hired him without the open interview process etc. The same thing isn't happening this time with Nicholson as he is not an outstanding candidate for this club, at this level.

Antony Moxey

Ask yourself this - in Hakwer's recent interview he said that Matt Taylor was so far ahead as the leading candidate, that it was embarrassing. Makes sense, seeing as we pretty much immediately hired him without the open interview process etc. The same thing isn't happening this time with Nicholson as he is not an outstanding candidate for this club, at this level.
Matt Taylor didn’t appear to be either when he was appointed. I might suggest that many supporters were surprised at not only his appointment but the speed at which it was made, which to me suggests that there was precious little time to assemble a candidate list much less declare Taylor right at the top of the tree.

So we might not be seeing it but who’s to say the club aren’t with Nicholson? I agree with you that speaking well isn’t reason enough but it does seem as though the club (as in those Involved with the playing staff) rate him. I wouldn’t be disappointed if he was appointed, however I would only be happy if they’d at least gone through an extensive recruitment process first rather than seemingly going for the first person available which is how it appears that Taylor was appointed.

We might not be so lucky to land such a talent from within this time.