• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

International relations thread

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
^^^ That letter... signed by saint Maxwell :oops::mad:

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Appreciate the response, thanks. I'm not trying (for once) to be difficult or being a WUM. I legit don't think we give the Russians enough credit for their ww2 efforts. But maybe that's just the circles I hang out in, and my age.
Not forgetting the Nazi-Soviet Pact of August 1939, allowing Germany & the Soviet Union to carve up Poland, after which both committed appalling war crimes against the Polish populace.

Alistair20000

Not forgetting the Nazi-Soviet Pact of August 1939, allowing Germany & the Soviet Union to carve up Poland, after which both committed appalling war crimes against the Polish populace.
Indeed.

I have recently re-read Enigma by Robert Harris where the Katyn atrocities feature.

Phil Sayers

The irony is that both Britain and France went to war to defend Poland's independence and democracy yet, via the aforementioned Yalta conference, ended up accepting Poland being enslaved for 45 years. Pragmatically the solutions devised at Yalta may well have been sensible but morally they were an abomination.

Oldsmobile-88

The irony is that both Britain and France went to war to defend Poland's independence and democracy yet, via the aforementioned Yalta conference, ended up accepting Poland being enslaved for 45 years. Pragmatically the solutions devised at Yalta may well have been sensible but morally they were an abomination.
Roosevelt was unwell at Yalta & was dead within a couple of months, we will never know how Europe could have looked post war if he was in better health & mind.

A work colleague in the early days of my career escaped from Poland during the German invasion & fought with the Free Polish Army, he always wanted to go back to Poland post war but could not & never did return to his homeland before his death in the late 1980s..

tavyred

Russia close to being driven back to its own border close to the city of Karkiv apparently.
The ass kicking continues.

DB9

So Finland poised to join NATO with Sweden to follow, Putin can throw his toys out of the pram but as the Finnish leader says to Putin, "You only have to look in the mirror, You caused this" Before they invaded Ukraine only 60km of border was between Russia and NATO, Now its going to be up to 1000km

Mr Jinx

So Finland poised to join NATO with Sweden to follow, Putin can throw his toys out of the pram but as the Finnish leader says to Putin, "You only have to look in the mirror, You caused this" Before they invaded Ukraine only 60km of border was between Russia and NATO, Now its going to be up to 1000km
I'm not sure how I feel about Boris going full in with Sweden & Finland yesterday I'll be honest. Whilst the EU remain supine on the whole thing, I'm not sure if it was a good idea to go storming in pledging our allegiance even ahead of them joining NATO. It just puts the UK in the nuclear crosshairs just that little bit more.

DB9

I'm not sure how I feel about Boris going full in with Sweden & Finland yesterday I'll be honest. Whilst the EU remain supine on the whole thing, I'm not sure if it was a good idea to go storming in pledging our allegiance even ahead of them joining NATO. It just puts the UK in the nuclear crosshairs just that little bit more.
I believe our support for Finland and Sweden is not the same type as say Poland in 1939, I think it's more we'd send hardware to these countries but if they're in NATO this all becomes irrelevant because they'll be protected under Article 5.

Mr Jinx

I believe our support for Finland and Sweden is not the same type as say Poland in 1939, I think it's more we'd send hardware to these countries but if they're in NATO this all becomes irrelevant because they'll be protected under Article 5.
I think you hit the nail on the head with the word "irrelevant".

I don't think it was really necessary. But then again, if Vlad's boys are having a hard time against the Ukrainian army, I'm not sure how effective they're going to be against a British/Swedish/Finnish army backed with full air & sea cover.